olivier auber on Mon, 4 Nov 2019 09:45:35 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

José Maria said "We can't have more awareness."

I'm sure we can. Many people suspect that FB is bullshit but very few have a clear explanation. #MyFacebookInvoice was one of my many attempts to draw attention to the fact that:
1 - FB is only the almost automatic result of a choice of protocols (distributed Multicast > centralized Unicast) that was made in the 90s while MZ was still only a schoolboy.
2 - FB is only an industrialization of our "cognitive asymmetries" of which MZ himself is not aware.
3 - FB is not a social network but a social silo, in other words, it is only an illegitimate avatar of one of the three "anoptical perspectives" of the networks

As I tried to show in my book "ANOPTIKON, an exploration of the invisible Internet: escaping Darwin's hand", which details the functioning of these protocols, the roots and mechanisms of our cognitive asymmetries, and the different types of anoptical perspectives of networks and their conditions of legitimacy, Facebook could be overcome the day when these points would become evident to a large part of the population. It will one day, but when?

Anoptikon, preface of Philippe Quéau:
https://medium.com/@olivierauber/anoptikon-e57199b8e76a

Olivier Auber

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 2:09 AM José María Mateos <chema@rinzewind.org> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 11:29:27PM +0100, olivier auber wrote:
>I'm still on FB to increase #MyFacebookInvoice
>Olivier Auber
>
>BTW, I wonder why this campaign got quite a big success in european media
>but not a word in US ones...
>http://perspective-numerique.net/PDF/MyFacebookInvoice-Press_Release-20180129.pdf

This looks like the "Internet money" that was central to a South Park
episode: https://southpark.cc.com/clips/165195/meet-the-internet-stars

I think we have more than enough awareness. We can't have more
awareness. Everybody knows what's Facebook, its limitations and what
it's terrible at. But that's one thing, and another is making that
important to every user (or most users).

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos