Irina Cios on Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:09:36 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] Fw: Tirana Biennale / Episode 4

PRESS RELEASE

BITTERSWEET / (EPISODE 4)

Participating artists: Nathalie Djurberg, Magdalena Dziurlikowska, Regina JosZ Galindo, Allen Grubesic, P'l Hollender, Jessica Lagunas, Ma Liuming, Elahe Massumi, Monica Melin, Agron Mesi, Annee Olofsson, Mario Rizzi, Joanna Rytel, Erzen Shkololli & Suela Qoshja.

Curated by Joa Ljungberg

14th October - 10th November 2005

Kompleksi Goldi Tirana

The TIRANABIENNALE3 is built up by 5 episodes, all of which set out to explore "taboos of our time". Whereas the first episode: TEMPTATIONS (curated by Edi Muka & Gezim Quendro) addressed the relationship between taboo and the notion of power, and the second episode: TO LOSE WITHOUT BEING A LOSER (curated by Roberto Pinto) reflected upon the act of losing as a modern taboo, the third episode: DEMOCRACIES (curated by Zdenka Badovinac) looked at the existence of parallel economies and systems. Now it is time for the fourth episode to open: BITTERSWEET (curated by Joa Ljungberg) which
will address subject matters surrounded by a number of taboos in most cultures, by exploring the relationship between love, sexuality and power.

Why make an exhibition focusing on love and sexuality in relationship to power? Well one important reason is that, throughout our contemporary world, societies are still dominated by men. This condition has consequences not only on how women are valued, treated and to what extent a democratic country can really be said to be democratic. It also effects how men and women live together, love one another and have sex with each other. Bittersweet presents works by 15 artists, some of which investigate established norms for love and sexuality: how those are formed; what expectations, needs and behaviours they generate; and how they function as to perpetually re-establish socio-sexual structures with inherent power mechanisms. Some artists discuss consequences of male honour residing in the sexual purity of women, whereas others explore sexually luring advertising and its subliminal play on our human desires. There are also artists addressing acute relationships between sexuality and economical power, by dealing with phenomenas such as trafficking, prostitution and sex tourism, as well as artists discussing what sexual assault really entails ö that it is about power, and so concerns everyone in our society.

The fifth and final episode of the Tirana Biennale3: GO INSIDE (curated by Hou Hanru) will open on the 28th of October. At this date we will also invite you to celebrate that the Tirana biennale 3 has been completed.

PROGRAM

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_1.htm>EPISODE 1 [TEMPTATIONS]
Edited by: Edi Muka, G'zim Q'ndro
Exhibition area: Kompleksi "Goldi"
10th September

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_2.htm>EPISODE 2 [TO LOSE WITHOUT BEING A LOOSER]
Edited by: Roberto Pinto
Exhibition area: Kompleksi "Goldi"
20th September

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_3.htm>EPISODE 3 [DEMOCRACIES]
Editd by:  Zdenka Badovinac
Exhibition area: "National Gallery"
30th September

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_4.htm>EPISODE 4 [BITTERSWEET]
Edited by:  Joa Ljungberg
Exhibition area: Kompleksi "Goldi"
14th October

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_5.htm>EPISODE 5 [GO INSIDE]
Edited by:  Hanru Hou
Exhibition area: The National Gallery of Arts
28th October

EHIBITION HEADQUARTERS
Kompleksi Goldi
Rr. Dibres 229