www.nettime.org
Nettime mailing list archives

dreamland Re: name.space -- sorry your argument makes no sense Re: netti
Gordon Cook on Sun, 16 Feb 97 21:37 MET


[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

dreamland Re: name.space -- sorry your argument makes no sense Re: nettime: [Fwd: rewired Zeit- name.space]


Gee the world is going to dance to pauls tune because he WISHES it to do
so.  how nice.  and the internet is now going to run by treaty.  how nice.
and the justice department position he alleges is really true.....trust
him and don't ask for sources....how nice.

Is there anyone on this list who actually programs distributed databases?
and could give a reasoned critique of my earlier statements?

************************************************************************
The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://pobox.com/cook/
Internet: cook {AT} cookreport.com             For NEW study: EVOLVING INTER-
NET INFRASTRUCTURE, 222 page Handbook http://pobox.com/cook/evolving.html
************************************************************************


On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, MediaFilter wrote:

> Cook:
> 
> you are totally in the dark.
> 
> Just because something doesn't appear on a mailing list
> is no indication that it isn't happening.  Come out of
> cyberspace for a moment and into the real world.
> 
> There is such a thing as private development.  That is
> what name.space is doing.  A company or group doesn't
> have to belong to some newsgroup or mailing list in order
> to develop their ideas.
> 
> The info concerning the justice department is true.  It
> doesn't have to be on the news to become truth.  Stop
> watching so much television!
> 
> IAHC has no mandate to impose their solution.  They DON'T
> have a treaty, no matter how close you think they have
> come to one.  The point is, there is none.
> 
> Your arguments about running a database every other day
> is rediculous.  The point is, once the distributed solution
> is in place, EVERY REGISTRY WILL FUNCTION EQUALLY.  Get It?
> What could be so difficult as to understand that?  Just
> like travel agents.  Think about it and perhaps it will
> become clear to you.
> 
> The entire view of root can change in minutes, once the
> named.root file on the current rootservers simply adds
> the list of new roots.  They don't have to run the whole
> database.  If you knew anything about dns, you wouldn't
> have made such an irrelevant statement.
> 
> Name.space is progressing, like it or not.
> Soon, you will be able to register your name with
> any of the new registries, including alternic, name.space,
> or whatever new "kids on the block".
> This will only make it more convenient, less expensive,
> and the performance of dns will increase dramatically as
> more rootservers are added, thereby distributing the load
> across more processors and more routes.
> 
> can't wait!
> 
> Best wishes,
> 
> Paul Garrin
> name.space
> 
> 
> --
> *  distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
> *  <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
> *  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
> *  more info: majordomo {AT} is.in-berlin.de and "info nettime" in the msg body
> *  URL: http://www.desk.nl/~nettime/  contact: nettime-owner {AT} is.in-berlin.de
> 

--
*  distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
*  <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
*  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
*  more info: majordomo {AT} is.in-berlin.de and "info nettime" in the msg body
*  URL: http://www.desk.nl/~nettime/  contact: nettime-owner {AT} is.in-berlin.de