intertwilight on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:22:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> please read - and how can this possibly be combatted?

hi Jaromil,

in effect we hadn't originally planned on doing this type of work explicitly but the situation in South Sudan, where we had begun a number of open tech related initiatives with local partners, steered us into it. A series of clear incidents where we could see probable causality between online activity and on-the-ground violence (proving causality between social media and directed violence is extremely difficult without clear groundtruthing mechanisms) led us to discussions around the use of social media from the 'outside' diaspora (i.e. in Canada / USA) and their effect on a hot conflict in a place with low technical infrastructure. Of course it's not unique to South Sudan, and where the issue was considered 'non-existent' a couple years ago the huge media and political attention given to it now brings rise to articles from all over the planet, including the one cited in the NYT. Because these conflicts have been out of Zuck/FB's focal range (despite the 'interest' in African tech entrepreneurship ... see the visit to iHub Nairobi a year or so ago) they have not been proactive in applying their regulations to regions where their income generation is minimal. This is a vacuum that conflict influencers (who in some cases are paid) have been very good at exploiting.

Later this month there will be an interesting conference on related issues in Berlin hosted by the Disruption Lab Network http://www.disruptionlab.org/ ... It may be good to pick up this conversation there in case any netttimers can attend!

Cheers,

Stephen