Jaromil on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:29:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> please read - and how can this possibly be combatted?

dear Stephen,

Thanks for your message indeed. Knowing of your continued engagement
in crisis areas I think your experience is really worthed a thread.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018, intertwilight wrote:

> The issue of using social media in conflict situations is real (in
> many different ways) and those that are the most savvy in their use
> have the potential to be effective influencers ...  either for
> conflict mitigation or its exacerbation. I simply wanted to point
> out some tools and resources for conflict mitigation that are being
> used or developed.

The fact that 'conflict mitigation' for social network hatespeech is a
task falling on the shoulders of NGOs is a somehow unwieldy deja-vu.

"theoretically" this would be a liability for the social network
corporations making enough money out of relentless extraction - and
injection of frauds a.k.a "fakenews" ads - to cover for it.

but no. deja-vu being that NGOs are left to deal with the debris.

what is also grotesque are the conditions of "lower-level" operations
in social network corporations that have to deal with hate speech (and
as it was done in your case, often commit mistakes... not sure you
want to tell the story). This can all well be a subject of studies, as
those conducted by @quillis at ITU.dk, or of court-cases perhaps.

I believe the bottom-line question stays the same since a century or
so: after capitalism leaves a mess, who deals with it? I find that
anglosaxon societies, while being heavily liability based, have never
found a practical answer. I don't believe philantropy is a viable
one. Finally, incarcerating Zuckerberg and the likes may be a step
forward?

ciao

--
  Denis Roio a.k.a. Jaromil  http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities