Thomas Dreher on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:08:27 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> History of Computer Art, chap. V

To the criticism of "The History of Computer Art" (URL:
http://iasl.uni-muenchen.de/links/GCA_Indexe.html):

The online publication allows to develop the project as an open project
(updates possible). This history describes early works, not the context
of computer art in different countries. Relevant for the works included
were the informations I was able to gather about their technology
because otherwise I can?t describe the computing processes. So I updated
my description of James Seawrights installations "Electronic Peristyle"
(1968) and "Network III" (1971) with the informations the artist sent to
me via e-mail (see chap. II.3.3).
Concerning the exhibitions and conferences of "New Tendencies" in
Zagreb: see Vladimir Bonacic in chap. II.3.3. The catalogues of the
exhibitions of the "New Tendencies"/"bit international" are part of my
bibliography.
On computer graphics: Hiroshi Kawanos "Design 2-1 Markov Chain Pattern"
(1964) is mentioned in chap. III.2, ann.41 together with works created
by Electronic Associates Incorporated (EAI) and Wolfgang B?umer in
1963/64. Who knows details about their programming? Relevant for the
section on computer graphics are only plotter prints (and documents of
them as reproductions, sometimes sold as `works?).

In developing the structure of the chapters and the multilinear
storyline I had a big problem to propose a history of the beginnings of
computer art (from ballistic to cybernetic models, see chapt II.1-II.2).
In developing the `story? of each chapter I had to care about the
outline. Too much details and anecdotes can be irritating for readers.
A collaborative project for a dictionary (Wiki) on (the history of)
computer art can be another research project trying to gather as much
details and insights as possible. The contrary will be a didactic
concept trying to work out some basics on (the history of) computer art.

Yours
Thomas