John Hopkins on Thu, 6 May 2010 18:59:54 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> .another internet is possible!_ [2x Morlock Elloi; Rob Myers]

> That (attempted) change in the meaning of identity to something reified
> and external can be seen in the push for database-stored and managed
> government biometric (etc.) "identity" schemes.

this shift occurred the first time someone wrote their name on a wax or clay
tablet, or even earlier when painting a picture of themselves on a cave wall (or
spatter-painted a stencil of their hand on the wall for that matter...)

to participate in the techno-social system requires reductive and (awkwardly
limited) multi-dimensional/discrete/discontinuous representations of the
continuous and transitional full self, it's only a sliding scale of how much one
'allows' of the reductive process, and how much belief/faith/attention one gives
to the representation of Self versus attentive intention to "the thing itSelf."
  The map is not the territory.

{I exhale moisture onto the screen to clean from it the fingerprints of stabbed
pointing at places on the map}

jh

John Hopkins
Artist-in-residence, April 2010