Megan Boler on Thu, 6 May 2010 19:03:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> CFP: DIY Citizenship: Critical Making and Social Media Conference

 CFP:  DIY Citizenship: Critical Making and Social Media International
Conference, Toronto, Canada
University of Toronto, November 12-14, 2010
submission deadline: May 20, 2010

 A renewed emphasis on participatory forms of digitally-mediated production
is transforming our social landscape. ‘Making’ has become the dominant
metaphor for a variety of digital and digitally-mediated practices. The web
is exploding with independently produced digital ‘content’ such as video
diaries, conversations, stories, software, music, video games - as well as
communities of self-organized crafters, hackers, and other enthusiasts for
whom 'making' is an explicitly political act. This interactive conference
seeks to extend conversations about these new modes of engaged DIY citizenship.
We
invite scholars, activists, artists, designers, programmers and others
interested in the social and participatory dimensions of digitally-mediated
practices, to engage in dialogue across
disciplinary and professional divides. All methodological and
theoretical approaches are welcomed. Submissions may include paper
proposals, works of art and/or design, short video or audio segments,
performances, video games, digital media, or other genres and forms.

Please submit a 250-word proposal or description of
work/presentation and a one-page artist or scholarly CV to
submissions@diycitizenship.com<https://owa.utoronto.ca/owa/redir.aspx?C=5b504d72f02e4ebd90386c58e6615cde&URL=mailto%3asubmissions%40diycitizenship.com>.
For more information and a list of our plenary speakers, visit our website
at www.diycitizenship.com<https://owa.utoronto.ca/owa/redir.aspx?C=5b504d72f02e4ebd90386c58e6615cde&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.diycitizenship.com%2f>
.