jaromil on Thu, 6 May 2010 18:58:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Return of DRM

re all,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 05:24:06PM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> Comparing this with early Internet  is pointless - those were highly
> educated, creative  and intelligent early adopters,  and today those
> same people have all the  privacy and freedom they want. The problem
> is  that the unwashed  came and  populated the  space. No  amount of
> activism will help them,  because they cannot (afford to) understand
> the technology, and you cannot help the illiterates.

what about another scenario?

consider a "generational war-zone" like Italy, where the illiterates
are those in power and the "intelligent early adopters" are fed up
with their non-sense, most of them emigrating, but still ubiquitous.

consider the strategic advantages that even 2nd hand consumer
technology can provide nowadays if "well used", consider a case in
which the engineering power of modern elites is shrinking and the
"neo-illiterates" among them are loosing a certain media hegemony to
new protocols.

consider that there are deep conflicts unfolding - what's most urgent,
at least in Eu-rope, is to supersede a neo-fascist KKN elite encrusted
around sceptres of idiocracy; to not even mention the bail-out...

do we really care about helping the "powerless tards rubbing iphones"
you talk about?  they are happy, "they have nothing to hide" and can
even be nice to socialize with them sometimes. they can even be
experts in different fields, they might even stop circulating spam one
day - or we might even reach to spam them with better things... :^)

fact is that digital alphabetization processes follow a "natural"
pace, the "solid knowledge" corpus of GNU/Linux/BSD will prevail as is
already doing; the situation Florian describes

  "Internet industry has  efficaciously circumvented copyleft by using
   Free  Software  as  a  productivity  stack  underneath  proprietary
   cloud/web applications and operating systems"

doesn't exactly consists in a "circumvention": every time we look into
an Abyss, the Abyss looks into us - and while this maneuver provided
expert labour force to the industry, it also provides better positions
for a GNU generation of developers, while their agency increases.

the game is still open, the war is raging for those who can see it and
it's not about establishing a new standard or writing a killer app,
but using the strategic positioning we've finally acquired.

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39