coco fusco on Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:29:53 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Questioning the Frame

that was published in IN THESE TIMES recently. The
comments were based on my lecture at the School of the
Art Institute of Chicago in November, 2004. The series
is entitled:

 MAPPING / CULTURE / BORDER / HACKING /

and the school's description of the series is:

"This lecture series examines the work of artists,
artist-collaboratives, and film/video makers whose
works address or proceed from shifts in articulations
of global culture, politics of the border and dilemmas
of transnational or diasporic identities--identity as
a spatial concern. Special attention will be given to
artists who use the gesture and organizational logic
of mapping, cartographic sciences and the grid to
locate identity as well as its displacements."

I found this description so baffling and overladen
with jargon that it prompted my response.

I have not had a moment yet to respond to Holmes's
post. I found it a bit surprising that he would locate
a response to an article in a left-wing Chicago
newspaper on a list-serve with a primarily European
readership (of his his allies, I would add). A
decision to locate his response HERE as opposed to
THERE seems more like a rallying cry to his nettime
readership than an address the substance of my
argument or to the public in Chicago, a city with a
long and venerable history of community and labor
organizing, activist media, and radical black
politics.

Coco