Michael H Goldhaber on Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:13:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Questioning the Frame

I want to comment briefly on Coco Fusco's impassioned and cogent remarks
on maps and war. I spent the year 1981 (the first year of the Reagan
administration) hiding out in the bowels of the Library of Congress in
Washington researching a book on the causes of war that I never wrote. One
of my main conclusions was that modern wars are fought precisely because
of maps. Modern states are defined in terms of their control of mapped
territories. maps have a certain look in which it begins to seem plausible
or necessary that some boundaries are wrong or artifiical, and so must be
changed. For example, consider Northern Ireland. Because Ireland is a
distinct island on the map, the map-reader's eye can easily conclude the
whole island should be one color. (Only one island in the entire world has
more than two different nation states on it: Borneo; only a handful have
two; while tens of thousands of islands are within one state. Likewise,
the map-reader's eye is unhappy with enclaves surrounded by other
countries or the lack of clearly demarcated borders, or any territories
that "belong" to no one. In principle one could imagine several countries
interpenetrating or overlapping on the same space. Australian tribes, for
instance, had overlapping home areas or areas through which they moved;
modern mapped states cannot accommodate such ways of life. (The famous
topological four-color mapping theorem would have made no sense in a world
in which a single territory could have overlapping colors.)

Obviously this thesis could be developed much, much further, but perhaps
I've made the point: without maps, what would wars in the modern sense be?
Where would they be fought? How would victory, or even partial victory be
gauged? Why would they seem necessary? What would the defenders defend?
So, while Coco is of course correct that the damage done by wars are done
to real people on the real earth and not on maps, maps and the sense of
necessity they seem to offer cannot be separated from modern wars.

I say modern very deliberately. Pre-Modern wars were (or perhaps even are)
different; they were not fought over maps. Post-Modern wars -- if acts of
violence such as terrorism can be thought of as acts of war -- are also
not about changing the color on maps, necessarily, but about the control
of attention through other representations such as TV screens or websites.
Or so I suspect.

Best,

Michael