W R E Reynolds on Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:55:49 +0200 (CEST)

RE: <nettime> Salon gone? [2x]

> My hope has been that some progressive European media
> outfit would pick them up, because the synergies are quite
> obvious: Salon has a well-earned reputation for serious
> journalism and innovative cultural content;

I can't see why anyone in Europe would want an American publication like
this. First, in the European scheme of things Salon is quite
conservative. Secondly, the quality of commentary in Europe on political
and social issues is so high I think Salon would fail to compare

> European audiences could benefit from that as well as
> American audiences benefiting immensely from more
> direct access to Euro perspectives.

I agree most heartily with this. Americans NEED to begin looking at the
perspectives of others, instead of just dismissing them. The
anti-American comments of Martina Navratilova highlighted this in the
past week. I saw commentator after commentator utterly dismiss her,
without even beginning to try to understand why an educated, intelligent
European would hold such opinions.