Ricardo Bello on Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:53:04 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Benjaming Geer and Chavez's Venezuela [4x]

Ben, I agree with you. An elected President should be removed by votes, not
by bullets.
But let us rewind this tape a few months.
On the first days of April a national strike organized to protest Chavezīs
political and economical measures paralized the country: business,
agriculture, oil industries, education, everything shut down. April 11th
saw hundreds of thousands marching to the Presidential Palace asking for
the Presidentīs resignation; they were received with bullets. Since then
the snippers have been identified: they work for government, not for the
CIA, and none of them are in prison. A few hours after the shooting ended
General Lucas Rincon, the highest ranking military officer and one of
Chavezīs closest advisors, gave a press conference announcing Chavezīs
resignation. An interim government was proclaimed, which inmediately
started to rule in a disastrous undemocratic way, and soon opposition
political parties and the workers union withdrew its support. Riots took
control of major cities and dozens of dead can be counted among the
casualties. On April 13th Lucas Rincon gave a second press conference where
he announced Chavez was back.
Lt. Coronel Chavez has done this country a great harm in just three years.
He destroyed the small economy we had and divided us with populism,
corruption and senseless -IMHO- class struggle inspired violence. Worse, he
is closing all channels leading to institutional change, blackmailing the
country with war if the opposition insists on his democratic removal from
office, demanding a constitutional amendment for new elections with double
turn.