Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:38:47 +0100

Syndicate: call for entries // graz biennial on media and architecture 99

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:29:09 +0100
From: Reinhard Braun <reinhard.braun@thing.at>

INFO 1/99 GRAZ BIENNIAL ON MEDIA + ARCHITECTURE

Dear collegues and friends,

we are pleased to announce the upcoming INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
and invite you to respond to our

C A L L  F O R  E N T R I E S + P A P E R S + P R O P O S A L S

- ( 1 ) -

|| For the 4th time the GRAZ BIENNIAL ON MEDIA + ARCHITECTURE invites
|| ENTRIES FOR THE INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION: DEAD-LINE June 30, 1999

The 4th GRAZ BIENNIAL ON MEDIA + ARCHITECTURE, taking place from November
24 - 28, 1999, will again establish an experimental environment for most
recent artistic projects (visual/interactive media) relating to
architecture and urbanity coupled with current discourses on cultural
spheres. The GRAZ BIENNIAL will thus create outstanding inhabited
information spaces - get connected to what is at stake in contemporary
culture!

For the INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION the GRAZ BIENNIAL ON MEDIA + ARCHITECTURE
is looking for challenging works of moving images - film - video - CD-Rom -
internet - that creatively and innovatively deal with architectural spaces
and urban issues. Entries are welcome from now on!

The competition is composed of the two sections:

- "Art & Essay": creative perspectives on cultural, social, political and
aesthetic implications of material / immaterial spaces
- "Architectural Documentation": leading forms of documentary reflections
of architecture and urban spaces.

|| 6 awards are donated with overall ATS 300.000,-!
|| ENTRY FORMS are now available at http://www.thing.at/art.image

Don't miss being part of one of the leading competitions for visual media
and urbanism!

- ( 2 ) -

|| Furthermore, the GRAZ BIENNIAL ON MEDIA + ARCHITECTURE calls from now on
|| for papers and proposals
|| for the subsequent sections of its '99 program: DEAD-LINE May 31, 1999

INSTALLATIONS

A number of unusual venues scattered all over the city will be taken as
settings for "delocated screenings" and "spread installations": temporary,
unexpected, but above all energetic, situational and interventionist. With
installations from the field of media, temporary encroachments and
interventions within the city prove to be catalysts for the reanimation of
urban space - topical and experimental contributions to applied urbanity.

METROPOLIZED
Spaces under Pressure - Bodies in Excess

With the large film retrospective METROPOLIZED the (mediatized) network of
the city will be reconstructed for the first time from the perspective of
an urban individual in an over-stimulated state. The film and video program
will show how contemporary film-makers design "portraits" of the body and
its current disorders. These disorders in the relationship between the body
and surrounding territories, these confusions between bodies, subjects,
urban spaces and their concrete as well as represented spatial orders, lead
to a general state of confusion between the body, space, time and visual
surfaces. The retrospective explores the tense interrelation between the
city and the body, and lays out diverse (visual) paths through a seemingly,
increasingly hypertrophic urbanism.

METROPOLIZED. Spaces under Pressure - Bodies in Excess is a project with
the Festival dei Popoli, Florence, and the European Media Art Festival,
Osnabrück, within the scope of the European Coordination of Film Festivals
(ECFF).

4th GRAZ MEDIA + ARCHITECTURE CONGRESS
ARCHITECTURE NOW! SPACE

The Congress ARCHITECTURE NOW! SPACE will focus on the interaction of art,
culture, technology and economy in the conception and realization of
architectonic and urban planning projects. Within this interdisciplinary
framework, ARCHITECTURE NOW! SPACE will deal with media-specific
possibilities of conception, documentation and mediation of contemporary
spatial structures. ARCHITECTURE NOW! SPACE will present and discuss
landmark examples of application and new trends in visual and interactive
development, analysis and representation of architectonic and urban spaces.
Architects, producers, artists, representatives from television stations
and architecture journals, architecture critics and media experts will
discuss the roles of media-aided spatial analysis and present new designs
and projects.

In the special program section INSPIRING SPACES exemplary documentations of
ground-breaking spatial concepts will be shown: from Frank Lloyd-Wright, Le
Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe and Archigram, to Rem Koolhaas, Jean Nouvel,
Greg Lynn, Winy Maas and Toyo Ito.

[ art.image ]

Hallerschlossstrasse 21
A-8010 Graz