Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:15:53 +0100

Syndicate: V2_East Newsletter 97/11

V2_East / Syndicate Newsletter 97/11

- Introduction
- Dates of upcoming events
- Updates

- General info about the Syndicate list
- Subscription

* Introduction *

Dear Syndicalists,

After the major Tasmanian order of Syndicate Readers which were produced
for Ostranenie I guess that the entire print run will be almost sold out.
For those of you who haven't got one yet but want one, this might be the
last chance to get one of these collectors' items. (If you want to save
money and are not in a hurry, you can also write to me or peter@v2.nl and
we will reserve a copy for you and try to get it to you by messenger at the
next possible opportunity.)

This list is a tool through which we exchange information about upcoming
events, plan or announce new projects, and stay in touch in between
meetings. The latest upsurge in traffic shows that many people are
realising that next year's programmes are only months away now and we have
to start planning. Please, continue to use the list for posting information
about what you are up to, and for getting in touch with people in other
parts of Deep Europe.

I hope to see you soon,

best wishes,

-a

* Dates of (some) upcoming events and exhibitions *
(check the archive at http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east for postings about these
events)

- Nov - December: Da-Da-Net, Moscow/RU
- 3 December - 4 January 1998: Scenic Eye: Visual Arts and Theater, Skopje/MK
- 4  - 7 December 1997: Recycling the Future, Vienna/A
- 5 - 7 December 1997: VideoMedeja, Novi Sad/YU
- 9 - 12 December 1997: IN ART '97, La Laguna/Tenerife/ES
- 28 January - 7 February 1998: International Film Festival Rotterdam/NL
- 12 - 22 February 1998: Transmediale / 11th Videofest, Berlin/D
- 6 - 10 May 1998: EMAF - European Media Art Festival 1998, Osnabrueck/D
- 13 to 17 May 1998: 9th Impakt Festival, Utrecht/NL
- 21 - 24 May 1998: PiraMedia, Tirana/AL
- 18 - 20 June 1998: SONAR 98, Barcelona/ES
- September 1998: Videonale 8 , Bonn/D
- 2 - 7 September 1998: ISEA98, Liverpool&Manchester/UK
- 7 - 12 September 1998: ars electronica, Linz/AT
- 17 - 22 November 1998: DEAF98, Rotterdam/NL

* IN ART «97

December 9 through December 12, 1997

A symposium at the University of La Laguna, in Tenerife, one of the Canary
Islands. This annual event explores the aesthetics and culture of digital
technology. IN ART'97 will address issues related to posthumanism, virtual
identities, the denial of the physical in electronic technology and the
boundaries of the interfaced self.

Tuesday, December 9th

19:30: Official opening of IN ART «97. Welcoming speach  and cocktail.

Wednesday, December 10th

10:30: Erkki Huhtamo, Findland. Independent researcher of digital
technology, writer and curator specialized in the archeology of electronic
media. "Through the Peep Hole: Media Art as an Archaeological Practice"

12:00:  Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, Canada-Mexico. Electronic artist, curator of
exhibitions and conferences.
"Relational Architecture: the art of teleprescence and teleabscence".

17:30:   Gerfried Stocker, Austria.  Director of Ars Electronica, will speak
of this year's festival. "Flesh Factor".

19:00:  Sergi Jorda, Spain. Artist and electronic composer, creator of
Epizoo, interactive performance.   "Cruelty and gratuitousness in virtual
reality".

Thursday, December 11th

10:30: Esther Mera, Spain-U.S.A.: Multimedia artist, director of the
"Hybrids and Mutants" lab at the California Institute of the Arts. Will
speal about "Photography, Digital Surgery and Mutations: The Body in
Contemporary Art".

12:00: Andreas Broeckmann, V2, Rotterdam/Berlin.
"Machinic Aesthetics and Becoming-Cyborg".

17:30: Sally Jane Norman, France-New Zealand. Theorist specialized in the
relationship between cyberspace and theatrical space.
"Electronic Gesture/Performance aesthetics".

19:00: Orlan, France. Multimedia artist who has performed plastic surgery
on her face over 10 times,  creating a provocative discourse on the body
and its image.
"This is my Body, This is my software".

Friday, December 12th

10:30: Sandy Stone, U.S.A. Performance artist, director of ACT Lab, Austin,
Texas. Specialized in virtual systems, virtual identities and transgender
issues in cyberspace. President of Cyberconf, an annual international
conference on the culture of cyberspace.

12:00: Panel and discussion.

IN ART '97 is sponsored by the University of La Laguna,
Tenerife's City Hall, the Regional Province of the Canary Islands and the
local bank Caja Canarias.

comunicacion@in-art.com

*  EUROPEAN MEDIA ART FESTIVAL 1998
Osnabrueck/D, 6-10th May 1998

You are warmly invited to send contributions to the eleventh
European Media Art Festival. An international forum for
contemporary media art, this festival will gather together
artists, theoreticians, journalists and a young engaged
public in Osnabrueck from 6 to 10 May 1998.

CALL FOR ENTRIES

Experimental and innovative works can be submitted on film,
video, CD-Rom and the Internet, as well as in the form of
installations or performance pieces.

The deadline for submissions is 2 March 1998.!!!!!!!!

We welcome contributions such as discussion topics and
essays on themes relating to specific media. Selected
contributions will be published in the festival catalogue
and on our web-site. At the festival a jury of film critics
will present the German Film Critics award for the best
German experimental film or video production of the year.

SPECIALS

The EMAF programme has been extended to include featured
artists, retrospectives and presentations on specific
countries. Hong Kong, South America and various countries of
Eastern Europe have been the subject of previous festivals.
The series will be continued in 1998 with a comprehensive
programme from Sweden.

RETROSPECTIVES

The subject of this year's presentation will be the films
and installations of West Coast filmmaker Pat O`Neill, whose
films are created on an optical printer, combining the
functions of camera and projector. O`Neill has developed and
perfected this tool for the manipulation of images since the
early 1970s. The results, which can often surprise, are a
combination of technically brilliant images and a new kind
of film language.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FORUM

The International Student Forum is an integral component of
EMAF, giving students from the various European film and
media colleges the chance to present their current
productions. An important focus is the exhibition of video
and computer installations. Students working in all fields
are invited to send in their current productions to the
festival!

INTER NET(Z)WERKE

The Virtual Festival Forum is a new EMAF project in which
new ways of exhibiting film, video and the digital media are
explored, and experiments are developed using the various
systems.

In co-operation with the Berlage Institut Amsterdam and the
Festival film+arc Graz, EMAF has organised Dialogue Spaces,
a project in which the new forms of communication provided
by the Internet are brought together with modern
architectural conceptualisations of real and virtual spaces.

Net-Culture

Projects, strategies, and constructions are the focus of the
symposium Net-Culture, which will throw light on current
artistic and philosophical developments in the media.

EXHIBITION 6th - 24th May, 1998

As in previous years the Kunsthalle Dominikanerkirche will
be central venue for the Electronic Cafe, the seminars and
the international exhibition of film, video and computer
installations. This newly renovated building offers an ideal
space for realisation of artistic concepts which span
sculpture, projection and networking.
For further information visit our website or contact:
( Applicationforms are available on our web site.)

European Media Art Festival
PO Box 1861
D-49008 Osnabrueck
Tel: 49/(0)541/ 21658
                25779
Fax: 49/(0)541/ 28327
email:emaf@bionic.zerberus.de
Internet:http://www.emaf.de

Festivalboard: Alfred Rotert
               Hermann Noering
               Ralf Sausmikat

* Impakt Festival for audiovisual arts, Utrecht.

The 9th Impakt Festival will be organized from May 13 to 17, 1998 in
Utrecht, The Netherlands.

Impakt is an international festival for audiovisual arts. The festival is a
showcase for innovative film, video art, music, installations, new media
and performances. Lectures and exhibitions complete the programme.

With its unique approach to the audiovisual arts Impakt clearly
distinguishes itself from other festivals. We believe that the similarities
between art forms are more important than their differences and we try to
stimulate the interaction between different audiovisual arts as much as
possible. Also we put great effort into presenting contemporary art in a
historic perspective or theoretic context.

#

The film and video section of the festival consists of thematical
programmes, retrospectives and the Panorama programme.

In the Panorama programme we show a high quality selection of recent film
and video productions. The programme gives an impression of the current
state of the audiovisual arts world wide.

The thematic programmes in the Impakt Festival deal with important issues
and trends in art or society or with issues we feel should be brought to
the attention of a wide audience. In the retrospectives we present artists
or movements we consider relevant for present developments in contemporary
art. An exhibition of installation pieces is also part of the Impakt
Festival. The installations will be exhibited in various gallery spaces in
the centre of Utrecht.

In the music section of the Impakt Festival, young talented musicians are
presented alongside pioneers of the avantgarde. The scope of the musical
programme is varied and ranges from electro-acoustic music to experiments
in popmusic and from multi-media performances to contemporary carillon
music.

#
Call for entries to the Impakt Festival

If you wish to participate in the Impakt Festival please ask for an entry form.
Our deadline for contributions is January 1st, 1998, but we would
appreciate it if you could send us your work as soon as possible.

Impakt Festival
P.O. Box 735
3500 AS Utrecht
The Netherlands
Phone: + 31 30  2944 493
Fax: + 31 30  2944 163
E-mail: impakt@xs4all.nl

* SONAR 98
18-20 June, Center of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona/ES

This is Sonar, International Festival of Advanced Music and Multimedia Art
in Barcelona. Now prepearing its 5th edition. SONAR 98 will happen on 18,
19. 20 of June in The Center of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona and
different locations around the city. You can find out more about Sonar and
it's previous editions on our website  www.sonar.es.

We are currently on the lookout for film and video material from labels and
artists, such as yourselves, to include in our cinema programme for 98.
The pieces will be shown in a plush seated cinema with a quality
soundsystem. In the past this section of the festival has been a huge
success with standing room only.
Every year the Cinema programme has its own section in the SONAR catalogue
and is represented in all the formats of the SONAR promotion campaign.

So if you feel that you have anything interesting please contact me on our
e-mail number. Thanks in advance
Andy Cumming

                SONAR.Advanced Music Meeting.
                E-Mail: sonar@sonar.es
                http://www.sonar.es
                P.O.Box 38.024-08080-Barcelona-Spain
                Fax. ++ 34.3.441 53 38

* Updates *

* Convergence reviews

Inke Arns (inke@is.in-berlin.de) writes:

Dear Syndicalists,
as you might know, I am guest-editing the Summer 1998 issue of Convergence
on New Media Technologies in Eastern, Central and South-Eastern Europe. The
deadline for research articles has passed (30 October 1997 / the Call for
Papers was sent to this list twice, in March and in September).

Still, I would like to invite all of you to contribute *reviews* on whatever
you might find interesting in the field. These reviews can be of books,
conferences, exhibitions, festivals, CD-ROMS, web sites etc. They are
usually about 1000 words each in length.

The deadline for these short reviews is *Thursday, 4 December 1997*.

If you have time ;-) and you want to read more ;-)  you can find the more
extensive proposal which I wrote for the Convergence editors at:
http://berlin.icf.de/~inke   look for "New" or "Projects".

Let's make it another deeply deep_european publication!

* AUTONOMOUS CULTURAL FACTORY
AUTONOMNA TVORNICA KULTURE - ATTACK
ZAGREB
[under construction]

Initiative has started around political pop mega.zin Arkzin  (as part of
our 'Towards 2000. development plan') and ZAP (Zagreb Anarchist Movement)
to create Autonomous Cultural Factory -ATTACK, as a club/production/
gallery/meeting place, where 'veterans' of civil scene could informally,
in friendly discussion exchange informations, develop ideas, as well as
pass their knowledge and informations to others, especially youth. It
would be a place for exhibitions, performances, lectures and various
workshops, where guests from different ex-Yu and European countries and
organisations present their work in various fields - be it arts, theory,
or civil movements. Cultural politics would be oriented towards
multicultural and trans-national exchange.
Important part of ATTACKs identity and politics would be productive work,
development of creative environment where new ideas and collaborations
could arise, a place that would not only present new art, ideas, movements
and theories but also create them.
Automatic e-mail mailing list is made on ZaMir BBS network so all messages
sent to the /attack@zamir-zg.ztn.apc.org/ adress are passed to all members
of the list.
Currently we are checking various available spaces in Zagreb, in order to
rent one by November 15th and start actual work of ATTACK in its own
space.

Contact persons
Vesna JANKOVIC
Marko STRPIC

Adress
ARKZIN [4 ATTACK]
Republike Austrije 17/I
HR-10000 Zagreb
tel: +385 1 / 37 77 866
fax: +385 1 / 37 77 867
e-mail: arkzin_zg@zamir-zg.ztn.zpc.org
e-mail: attack@zamir-zg.ztn.zpc.org
http://www.arkzin.com

* Bulldozer

Janos Sugar (js@mrf.hu) writes:

In October 97 the Media Research Foundation published BULLDOZER, a  220
pages  anthology of contemporary media theory in Hungarian. (ISSN:
1417-6033). Although the material in the book is also available (readable +
downloadable) for free, in the spirit of anti-copyright, on two sites on
the net (http://www.mrf.hu and in the Hungarian Electronic Library) BULLDOZER
became an immediate hit, and was the 3rd among the bestsellers in October
in one of the most prestigious bookstores in Budapest.

We hope we can go further with the bulldozer! further info: mrf@mrf.hu or
http://www.mrf.hu

* (XCHANGE)

rasa smite, raitis smits, janis garancs write:

We are happy to announce - net.audio/radio (Xchange) mailing list has
started! if you are interested - welcome to subscribe!
You are very welcome to join to the Net.Audio Network -

net.audio (Xchange) network
A C O U S T I C . S P A C E
<http://xchange.re-lab.net>

(x) for alternative non-commercial internet broadcasters and
individual audio content providers
(x) on exchange and linking-up of audio content within the net.space
(x) developing towards a net.audio network community

(XCHANGE) MAILING LIST - information&communication channel

(s) (u) (b) (s) (c) (r) (i) (b) (e) ( ) (i) (n) (f) (o)

If you want to SUBSCRIBE to the XCHANGE mailing list:

send a message to <Majordomo@re-lab.net> with the following

     subscribe xchange your@email.adddress

or contact:  owner-xchange@re-lab.net

* 'SOUND BOX' Web Broadcast Project

Kiasma - Museum of Contemporary Art in Helsinki, Finland, is seeking works
for possible inclusion for the upcoming web project.

SOUND BOX is a RealAudio based experimental broadcast, opening its virtual
doors on Friday March 27th 1998. Web broadcast will be online for a period
of two months at the following address: http://www.kiasma.fng.fi/soundbox/.
SOUND BOX is a countdown project for KIASMA, the new building of The Museum
of Contemporary Art, keeping its opening ceremony on Friday May 29th 1998
in Helsinki.

SOUND BOX will introduce different kind of works and aesthetics concerning
electronic music. SOUND BOX is looking for fresh ideas, works in which
sounds and electronic means are used in imaginary and interesting ways.
SOUND BOX will give the web audience a versatile vision about the diversity
and richness of international sonic art in the 90's.

At least 20 works will be selected for SOUND BOX broadcasting. The selected
works are broadcasted as a nonstop stream, including text information about
every composer and work. Each selected composer will receive a fee of 500
FIM (= ca. 95 USD = 167 DEM = 555 FRF = 57 GBP). Please be sure that you
own the copyright of the piece before submitting it. There will also be a
possibility that The Museum of Contemporary Art will buy a few of these
works for its collection.

SOUND BOX project is curated by composer Petri Kuljuntausta
(http://muu.autono.net/artists/kuljuntausta/), chairman of the Charm of
Sound association.

Formats for submission:
- DAT, CD/CD-R, Minidisc.

Please include:
- Written artistic statement about the submitted work and bio about
yourself and your previous work in diskette (PC/Macintosh).

DEADLINE for submissions is January 30th 1998.

Submit your work and diskette to:

SOUND BOX
The Museum of Contemporary Art
Kaivokatu 2
FIN-00100 Helsinki
Finland.

The SOUND BOX Website at: http://www.kiasma.fng.fi/soundbox/

-------------------

The Charm of Sound association (Aanen Lumo ry) is collaborating on this
project, so there will be an opportunity for your work to be performed in
an electronic music concert in Helsinki. After the SOUND BOX web
broadcasting period we will return all submitted sound material, but if you
would like your work to be performed in a live concert we will forward your
material to Charm of Sound's collection for consideration of future
projects. Please mention if you prefer that possibility.

For further information about SOUND BOX or the Charm of Sound association,
contact:

Petri Kuljuntausta
Tunnelitie 9 G 53
FIN-00320 Helsinki Finland.
Tel: +358-9-4583950
Email: <petri.kuljuntausta@muu.autono.net>

* Shared Visions - Cyberstar '98:  International competition for interactive
environments

bodies responsible:
WDR Cologne, Germany and GMD - German Research Center for Communication
Technology, Sankt Augustin

Cyberstar aims at creating new interactive ways of communication which
reflect and utilize today's state of technology from an artistic and
creative point of view. The competition supports cooperation between
artists, designers, media and computer experts.

Concepts for interactive scenarios in the categories television, internet
and stage will be awarded with prizes totalling to DM 35.000. The first
prize includes a work term of six months at the GMD where the submitted
concept can be realized.

Submission deadline for Cyberstar 98 is March 31st 1998.

Further information and submission guidelines:

WDR
Cyberstar
Germany - 50600 Cologne

phone: +49-221-220-6728, fax -6252
e-mail: cyberstar@wdr.de

http://www.wdr.de/cyberstar/english_von_wettbewe.html

* General Info *

V2_East is an initiative of V2_Organisation Rotterdam, which is aimed at
creating a network of people and institutions who are involved with or
interested in media art in Eastern Europe and which wants to create an
infrastructure that facilitates cooperations between partners in East and
West. With its 'Syndicate' mailing list, website <http://www.v2.nl/east>
and regular meetings, V2_East is becoming an important tool for fostering
ties within the media art community in Europe which makes it increasingly
obsolete to think in term of 'East' and 'West', and which will eventually
make the V2_East initiative itself redundant.

The V2_East/Syndicate is a no-budget network initiative rather than an
institution. <syndicate@AEC.at> is the address of a mailing list which is
dedicated to an exchange of information and ideas relating to the situation
and future development of electronic and media art in Eastern Europe. A
Syndicate-mail archive for messages that are coming in over the list (since
April 97) can be found at: http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east/
The list members include more than 190 artists, curators, networkers,
writers, festival organisers, etc., from East as well as West European
countries and beyond, who, through the 'Syndicate', are trying to improve
the communication and cooperation between artists and organisations in East
and West. The list was first installed following the initial meeting of the
V2_East initiative at V2_Organisation in Rotterdam on January 21, 1996, at
the end of the second Next 5 Minutes conference. During the DEAF96 festival
in September, we held a V2_East Meeting in which around 30 people from 12
different countries participated. Other meetings were held in Liverpool
(LEAF97, April 1997), Kassel (Deep Europe workshop, August 1997), Linz
(Syndicate Net.Shop, September 1997), and Dessau (Ostranenie 97, November
1997).

* Subscription *

To subscribe to the syndicate list, please, send a message to
<syndicate-request@aec.at> with the following text in the body of the
message: 'subscribe [email-address]'
For more information about the Syndicate, please, contact <abroeck@v2.nl>
(Andreas Broeckmann).

*Please, send information that you feel should appear in the next edition
of this newsletter (deadline: 30 November 97) to: abroeck@v2.nl.