Claudia Westermann on Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:49:56 +0200

Syndicate: East, NN, filter, discuss

Dear Anna and all, who ever is still on the list,

(I just got so much used to listening.. ..too bad...)

At 22:58 16.08.01 +0200, Andrej Tisma wrote:
>I think it is more natural that list for mostly eastern Europeans is
>administrated by Easteuropeans, there will be more understanding.
>Because we here are not dealing wit art, communication, politics as
>business but we speak and work from heart. We know what real freedom is,
>we
>know to evaluate it, not selling it for some profit.

actually I wanted to suggest, if it is possible, to install the list that
way, that some of the boring jobs for the list can be done by more than
two.. ...maybe switching weekly. I have no idea, if this is realistic, but
if it is, than I am sure that there will be some more people also, who
would do that job from time to time. I volunteer hereby. But if you think
that the list should be an Easteuropean list by Easteuropeans, than forget
about it (at least with me, because I am definitely not East European and
even I think that still I do not have the slightest idea of it really
means). Well, I still think, that there is a lot to communicate and that it
has some value, that there are people with different backgrounds on the list.

At 17:13 16.08.01 +0200, Anna Balint wrote:
>I am deeply upset that no discussions were going on the list, not much
>common topics,
>meanwhile the one trying to bring up questions in his or her own way
>suffered of restrictions.
>I would like to ask Amy Alexander whether he could write filtering software
>on request to provide people with an efficient tool to validate their
>preference.

Well, why not asking NN to write a small program (maybe to be used with an
open source mailer) to filter NN?
I guess if she does it herself it could become a very amusing, nicely
complex not at all linear tool, sometimes even surprisingly working the way
it is expected. Maybe we suggest, that the program should work almost like
expected. Well.. maybe I just like the irony... but on the other hand I do
not think, that it is a good idea, if a filtered version of Syndicate would
be just like if NN was banned. ...this is a concept...

And about discussions:

At 23:07 14.08.01 +0200, fmadre wrote:

>last
>I do not see that the internet is either public or private
>
>f.

still on?

I add... (but would be interested in other way's of thinking)
In the urban context there is another term also. Half public (if I
translate that directly), it is applied to those spaces, that are privately
maintained, but seem to be accessible for everyone. (remark: even the so
called public space in the context of a city is not accessible for
everyone, it never was).
So half public fits in many ways to something like a mailing list, only
that it is read in private and therefor all normally in public or half
public spaces used behaviours of filtering (selection) (without
complaining) just do not seem to be appropriate (obviously, as we have seen).

I doubt, that money and connection speed are the only reasons, for a desire
of server side filtering. That desire is connected to a feeling of being
private when reading mail in front of a computer, I guess. In private
spaces people try to reduce dynamic selection to a minimum. Maybe then it
seems to be home ....?

kindly
Claudia