anna balint on Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:25:40 +0200 (CEST)

Syndicate: visit of the uniform

if you think to start a syndicate-digest version, I
certainly volunteer to administrate the syndicate list. It
is perhaps anyway decent and wise that a list about east-
west art connections has involvement in the maintenance
from east as well.
MDear Inke,aybe because of my very different background - I
grew up in a totalitarian country, where I was forced into
a conspirational existence, I know what it is like - i am
very sensible to censorship and inclusion/exclusion
matters, and i strongly disagree with banning anybody from
the list. If nn does will not have opportunity to show up
on the syndicate list I will inform the 'Index on
Censorship' forum and paper about the situation created,
and suggest to start collecting all records referring to
nn's case. This paper made echoing worldwide also Salman
Rushdie's affair. There is also a possibility to multiply
nn, since literally anybody of us can be nn. Have you seen
yet plants loosing their mind and bury their buds
underground? There are many.
Of course there is a possibility to start a samizdat (=own
publication). But who could respire  the air of freedom,
does not accept mind crime anymore -as Orwell would say-,
can't sleep, starts to live awaken, without dreams, learns
Grammatik's to investigate the dark sky for an enormous
star sentence which one feels will arise one day.
Dear Lorenzo, I thought you were joking when asking for the
address of integer. Everybody knows the address integer@god-
emil.dk!
Dear Andreas, it seems that you banned integer from the
syndicate list for very personal reasons, without surveying
the opinion of the community. Integer brought up recently
so many relevant questions related to art, software,
funding, east-west, corporations, information management,
public-private, media, media art - all core topics of the
list so that now it is very much missing her/his
contribution. His/her texts became much softer and readable
when not encountering censorship, I am sure many people
enjoyed them. Were there too many messages? Did you
consider how much time it took HIM/HER to write them? I
think it is necessary and nice to stick your head out, and
try to solve your conflicts with integer. That you give
chance that s/he defends him/herself is a minimum! It is
absurd to ban from an art related list the best artists! It
is absurd to not be able to stand and negotiate with an
artist who won the first prize at transmediale. Even the
name of integer is so relevant - when the syndicate list is
in disintegration as Eric Kluitenberg says, what else does
it need than integration? It is bizarre to not appreciate
him/her the most! You are not alone having difficulties
with some artists. For example Istvan Kantor got a prize at
the ars electronica last year, but he was not allowed to
the award ceremony in person, so much some organizers were
terrified of his presence in public and while not busy with
his own performance. But it is so strange and ridiculous
when he is such a cool and good mannered gentleman! We
enjoyed a lot the restrictions.
Dear Anke Hoffmann! I would be very interested to find out
what are the rules of the cyber society and which one did
integre not respect. I give a historical example. Socrates
very often compared himself to a breeze, because of his
manner of strong questioning. It is interesting that the
people never expulsed him from Athena though it would have
been easy with the ostrakismos (a kind of inverse voting
system very much in fashion at that time. if someone
believed that a person is harming the polis, one could walk
to the agora and write the name of the enemy on a sherd
board=ostrakon. if there were 6000 votes against somebody,
that person had to leave the city for five years). Believe
me, Socrates was a much more uncomfortable person than
integer, he was a really a terrrible guy. But most people
appreciated him, and some still do after so many years.
faites vos jeux s'il vous pla?!
greetings, below a message of mine from the end of June
which got somehow lost.
Anna Balint - tout ?rouge!

Datum
             Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:45:40 +0200
         Von
             anna balint <epistolaris@freemail.hu>
          An
             syndicate-owner@eg-r.isp-eg.de
   Antwort-An
             epistolaris@freemail.hu
       Betreff
             RE: s*bscribe!
        Teile

                  (Quelle)

   >do you know anything about nn's criteria of selection +?

   >nn

   I am not sure, but I would be very curious to your
opinion and other
   people's option as well.
   I can only say that I came to syndicate because it
seemed to me an open
   minded list, and loyal to its expressed goal. I very
much liked that people
   used it a lot during the Yugoslav conflicts and bombing,
showed many faces
   of the war, and it gave chance to directly express
solidarity voices with
   the people there. That was my first experience with too
many messages for my
   perception and too small computer to receive them all.
   Since than, exactly due to you, myself - and maybe
others too - learned more
   about how to handle too much information, spam, how to
use the crab and  I
   became more aware of the medium.
   I like the way syndicate functions, how it contoured and
grabbed problems,
   and tried to develop strategies to solve them - like the
Future States of
   Balkania imagination exercise or the Visa Department of
the Deep Europe
   Workshop. I like that it is unmoderated, lets everybody
to judge with
   his/her means information arriving. It welcomes
everybody on the list and at
   meetings, it is the most transparent among the lists I
know. It gave support
   to people who are s*bscribed, like recently for Edi
Muka. I like the list because of its informative,
documentary values and for the flexible theory accumulated
here.
  For sure it serves
   as a body of interests for artists, curators, spaces,
organizers or people
   connected to them by freely circulating their
announcements and idea.
   best wishes,
   Anna Balint