Steev Hise on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:12:51 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Syndicate: A "bouqu3t"

If anyone is interested, the source code for the
cgi i posted yesterday is here:

http://datamassage.com/sw/opencode/hackspeak.cgi

Perhaps someone will be interested in the project Amy
suggested: reversing the functionality for use as a mail
filter, auto-translating NN missives.  Although as I said to
Amy, it's much harder to run the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
backwards. (If you do succeed at this, please send me a
patch!)

->From: Julie <bluedahlias@mindspring.com>
->I decided I'd had enough when I filtered out NNs messages, and there was
->almost virtually nothing else coming in. I couldn't believe that others
->were parroting her cryptic bullshit language. Those who want to correspond
->with NN can do it easily (off -list), I'm sure. Time to move on...

are you talking about my poor little perl script?  if so,
madam, you injure me. it was a **joke**.  perhaps you lack a
sense of humor? i hope not, that would be sad... ;-(

Anyway, i've been putting up with integer for about 6 years
now on 5 or 6 different lists. (believe me, i have no desire
to correspond with it off-list.) i hate it as much as you
seem to, but i know that it will never be stopped simply by
plain old whining.  i've seen hundreds of flamewars that
start with 1 post from integer, and end with 50 posts from
people complaining (and complaining stupidly)  about
integer, mixed with about 50 posts from people defending
integer. if people would just ignore it, or at least attack
it with some cleverness, it would go away, but they never
do, and it gets exactly what it wants - naive attention.

->The air smells sweet this morning. Thank you, Inke, for uns*bscribing
->integer--it's an act of courage, striking a blow for intellectual and
->artistic freedom.

What an ironic thing to say. (perhaps "blow for" is meant
to read "blow against"?) I beleive censorship is also
the wrong course. Even if it were ethically correct, the
creature will just come back under a different name, now
with more to rant about, that we are "oppressing" it, etc.

sigh.

best wishes,

Steev Hise, Infoserf
steev@detritus.net	   http://detritus.net/steev
*Recycled Culture: detritus.net
*Record Store: southtothefuture.com
*Progressive radio sketches: radioluchalibre.com
*Watching power flow: capitalletters.detritus.net
*Democratic sound collage generator: soundbakery.detritus.net
                     *** sig almost over ***
"The computer and its content are not independent of each other."
            -Nicholas Negroponte