Geneva J. Anderson on Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:05:07 -0700

Syndicate: Sao Paulo and the Africans (Mesquita reply)

I'm forwarding letter as a follow-up to the previous re-post from
Olu Oguibe.  Several
people wrote me off-list with comments
on the previous letter and Mesquita's reply strikes me as

very interesting but defensive and predictable.
Sympathetic
but not budging..he claims to be working
around borders, above
geopolitics and beyond the
formulaic...
Is this what we have come to expect from curators at
exhibitions of this caliber?

How about some onlist comments from curators/participants ..I'm
interested in an open discussion but not
being a curator
or artist...I do have your insight or
practical experience.

Geneva Anderson

-----Original Message-----From:
curadoria.bienal <curadoria.bienal@uol.com.br>To:
bienalsp@uol.com.br <bienalsp@uol.com.br>Date:
Wednesday, June 28, 2000 3:36 PMSubject: Re: Sao Paulo and the
Africans

Dear Olu Oguibe,
Thank you for your letter and your concern with the curatorial structure of
the XXV Bienal de São Paulo. I acknowledge the importance of your claim
concerning the exclusion of African intellectuals from curatorial projects
carried out around the world nowadays. Nonetheless, I would like to clarify some
key aspects of the project currently under development by my curatorial team and
myself with which you are evidently unfamiliar:

1. First of all, I believe that your argument stating I am withdrawing from
the Fundação Bienal de São Pauloâ??s program by not
following the model adopted by my predecessor â?? which includes a specific
curator for each continent â?? is hasty and unjustified, since no curator is
obliged to repeat other professionalsâ?? models regardless of their success
and efficacy. One must recycle the experience but avoid turning the model into a
formula. The â??Roteirosâ?? exhibition structure in 1998 incorporated a
geopolitical division in its presentation and therefore counted with
professionals from every continent. Yet, whereas two African curators organized
the African continentâ??s participation, I, from South America, was
responsible for the representation of the United States and Canada. This
experience took place with no perplexity and Paulo Herkenhoff was in no instance
accused of excluding North Americans, nor was I accused of appropriating their
voices.

    The XXV Bienal has adopted a curatorial stance that privileges a
    dialogue among professionals based in different parts of the world as a
    strategy, precisely, to erase the geopolitical context defined by borders.
    In this exhibition, organizations are not being chosen in relation to
    continental divisions and the resulting exhibition will not group artists
    according to their origin. As a result, it will be different to the
    "Five Continents and One City" you mention in your letter and thus
    to any other biennial structured in terms of national divides.
    In the same way that the Bienal is not organized around geopolitical
    divisions, the choice of the curators for the Bienal team and that of all
    collaborators from around the world does not take into consideration the
    geographic origins of those professionals. On the contrary, the choice is
    based exclusively on the projects they have been working on and on the
    specific contribution they could bring to the XXV Bienal project: the
    editorial, museological and academic areas, educational programs, and so on.
    It is clear that when a professional team is formed, previous working
    experiences and collaborations established with professionals throughout
    time do not go entirely unnoticed. Some of these collaborations extend in a
    productive way for a long time and often also expand to the field of
    friendship. That is one of the beauties of our profession.

    My team is involved in the curatorship of the entire project. We work
    beyond geographic or political borders and count with the possibility of
    collaborators from different parts of the world. This means that the entire
    curatorial team will be involved with all countries that wish to participate
    at the XXV Bienal including the selection of artists invited by the
    institution. Therefore, to talk about the necessity of a curator from any
    nationality becomes meaningless in this context since that moves away from
    the projectâ??s orientation. It may be worth noting, though, that among
    the 7 curators composing my team, 5 come from peripheral countries and only
    2 from the first-world.
I think that the issues raised in your letter are extremely relevant and
should certainly be a source of reflection to any curator or curatorial project
today. But at the same time, I am a strong opponent of the idea that
Brazilian/Latin American curators should have a monopoly, or even a preference,
in the organization of exhibitions of Brazilian/Latin American art. I have found
the external eye to be quite insightful in cutting through the sediment of local
prejudice. The matter rests on the ethics and transparency of the professional
practice and the pertinence and consistency of the project developed.
Yours sincerely,
Ivo Mesquita