Arthur Bueno on Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:47:25 +0100

Syndicate: Fw: zeroG artlab rotterdam: {BULLETIN-10/02/00}

From: "zero g art-lab rotterdam" <karoly.toth@excite.com>
Subject: zeroG artlab rotterdam: {BULLETIN-10/02/00}
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:03:28 +0100

zeroG artlab rotterdam: {BULLETIN}
date:    10/02/00

T.O.C.

01 WEB-EVENT: TRANS-PORTS
02 THE VIRTUAL HOUSE OF 'DE STIJL'
03a MAJOR FLARE ERUPTS ON SUN - EARTH SAFE
03b FOLKLOR-THE HISTORY OF DOS

01

WEB-EVENT ON 24.02.00
TRANS-PORTS, DATA-DRIVEN ARCHITECTURE BY KAS OOSTERHUIS AND OLE BOUMAN
 http://www.trans-ports.com & at NAi (Netherlands Architecture Institute)
http://www.nai.nl

website of Kas Oosterhuis:  http://www.oosterhuis.nl/
for more info: mailto:info@oosterhuis.nl

"... On Thursday February 24, the project 'trans-ports: data-run
architecture' by Kas Oosterhuis and Ole Bouman will be presented in the
Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAI). Despite experiments with flexible
building systems, current architecture is predominantly static. If Ole
Bouman and Kas Oosterhuis have their way, that won't last much longer. At
least, not exclusively. They are developing an architecture that literally
moves, giving a totally different and flexible meaning to concepts of time
and space. An architecture in constant communication with architecture
elsewhere, in which distance is no longer a relevant factor. They are
working on trans-ports: an interactive pavilion, in a physical and Internet
version, with a permanent exchange between the two. Is it an object? Does it
have a shape? Does it have a programme?

These and numerous other questions at the heart of architecture are posed in
trans-ports. The project will officially be presented at a web event on
February 24. After lectures by Kas Oosterhuis and Ole Bouman, a number of
international participants will come together in virtual space and
demonstrate the principle of trans-ports. The international participants
are: Marcos Novak (USA), Makoto Sei Watanabe (Japan), Ted Kruger (USA) and
Leonel Moura (Portugal).

Come to the NAI auditorium at 3 p.m. on February 24, 2000, or go to
www.trans-ports.com at that time.

Architecture without limits That's how we've always known architecture:
motionless; providing someone or something with a place; and if nothing
happened, it was the same for everybody. No matter how 'fast' buildings
were, how up-to-date, high-tech or functional, not a single building was
beyond the scope of time, place or action. Architecture therefore remained a
static, classical, and material discipline.
Yet owing to the rise of information technology, the notion of one single
measurable reality has been seriously called into question. Space is
disintegrating. Network technology allows an action to take effect at many
geographical points at the same time. And sensor, display, and interface
technology can effect a mixing or doubling of a situation. In other words,
an action is no longer confined to a single location, nor to one moment in
time. Action, therefore, acquires a new, hybrid character.
Because architecture has always been so closely associated with the physical
world, digitalization has as yet only had a marginal influence on it. Even
though design work is done on computer, and partners to the building process
communicate digitally, and even though climate control in buildings is
managed by a network, the core of architecture has nevertheless always been
that the object stands still, has a final form, and accommodates a
programme. The question emphatically posed by trans-ports is: for how long?
..."

PROGRAM:
beginning: 03.00 PM
opening by Kristin Freireiss, director NAi
introduction by Ole Bouman
info on modes of trans-ports & web based real time evolution game by Kas
Oosterhuis

WEB-EVENT WITH:
Marcos Novak (usa)
Makoto Sei Watanabe (japan)
Ted Krueger (usa)
Leonel Moura (portugal)

address:
Nederlands Architectuurinstituut - Museumpark 25 - 3015 CB Rotterdam

02

THE VIRTUAL HOUSE OF DE STIJL
exhibition

opening: February 18 at 05.30 PM
at Netherlands Architecture Institute - Museumpark 25 - 3015 CB Rotterdam -
NL

open: from February 19 until April 16, 2000

The exhibition The Virtual House of De Stijl in the Balcony Room of the
Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAI) attempts to draw a link between the
architectural experimentation of Theo van Doesburg and Cor van Eesteren in
1923 and the explorations into 'newspace' on the computer by today's
architectural avant-garde. Van Doesburg and Van Eesteren gave form to a new
spatial dimension in architecture and illustrated that in three house
designs made for a special De Stijl exhibition in Paris: Rosenberg House,
Maison Particulière and Maison d'Artiste. These projects were intended as a
public demonstration of a new architectural aesthetic. In the exhibition
these house designs will be brought up to date by literally placing them
inside 'new space': a 3D design by architect Lars Spuybroek.

modernism and 'transmodernism' The exhibition reveals surprising parallels
between early modernism and current 'transmodernism', the connecting lines
between them being electricity, light, image, space and time. This
confrontation between the work of the pioneers of 'time-space' and their
kindred spirits of today not only illuminates an historical episode but also
can clarify the contemporary discussion about computer-generated spaces.

03
selected & forwarded by: zeroG artlab rotterdam

FRESH FROM MNEWS THE HAGUE
mnews is a dutch newsgroup

contact mnews: mailto:kabubah@xs4all.nl
earlier bulletins of mnews from the MATEOR website>
http:/www.mateor.nl/kabubah
                          _   _
                _ __ ___ | \ | |_____      _____
               | '_ ` _ \|  \| / _ \ \ /\ / / __|
               |_| |_| |_|_| \_#___| \_/\_/ |___/
_*______________mateor_________###____net____news______________*_
_*____________________________#####____________________________*_
_*______________mucho_trabajo__###___poco__dinero______________*_
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\#\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                 _            _   _                       _
    _ __ ___  __| | __ _  ___| |_(_) ___  _ __   ___  ___| |
   | '__/ _ \/ _` |/ _` |/ __| __| |/ _ \| '_ \ / _ \/ _ \ |
   | | |  __/ (_| | (_| | (__| |_| | (_) | | | |  __/  __/ |
   |_|  \___|\__,_|\__,_|\___|\__|_|\___/|_| |_|\___|\___|_|
_*_____________________________________________________________*_
_*_____________________________________________________________*_
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

MAJOR FLARE ERUPTS ON SUN

By BBC News Online science editor Dr David Whitehouse

A  major solar flare erupted on the north-east limb of the Sun on
Saturday.  It was one of the largest and brightest optical flares
seen  in  recent  years,  according  to data from the US National
Oceanic  and Atmospheric Administration and the Space Environment
Centre.

It  was  followed  by  the  ejection  of  billions  of  tonnes of
super-hot  gas. This was not directed at Earth but the increasing
activity  raises  the  possibility  that  a future eruption could
damage satellites and communications and power supplies on Earth.

The  flare was extremely bright The flare was extremely bright It
was  caused  by the upwelling of magnetic fields from beneath the
Sun's   surface.  The  magnetic  fields,  arranged  in  so-called
flux-tubes, become filled with super-hot gas.

Eventually  the  flux-tubes  become  distorted  to  the  point of
breakdown.   When  this  happens  a  vast  amount  of  energy  is
explosively liberated in a solar flare.

B for brilliant

The  flare  spewed out radiation right across the electromagnetic
spectrum.  For optical light intensity, it got the maximum rating
of "B" (for brilliant).

And  in  terms  of  high-energy X-rays, the flare was in the most
powerful  "X"-class.  The  Goes  8  satellite detected the bright
surge which emitted ten million times more energy than a volcanic
explosion.

However,  solar  physicists  point  out  that  this size of blast
represents less than one-tenth of the total energy emitted by the
Sun every second.

Solar  flares  become  more  common  during  sunspot maximum. The
current  sunspot  cycle  is  predicted  to  peak in mid-2000, and
remain high for at least a year.

Complex magnetic field

Although  the  5  February solar flare was big and bright, it did
not  come  from  a  particularly impressive sunspot group. Active
region 8858, the site of the flare, covers just 200 millionths of
the solar disk.

However,   its  magnetic  field  is  complex,  exhibiting  strong
gradients  that  make  it a likely site for flare activity. Space
weather  forecasters  expect the region to continue developing in
the  coming  days. If that happens, we could be in for more major
flares.

Just   after   the   solar  flare,  the  Solar  and  Heliospheric
Observatory  (Soho)  satellite  recorded  a dramatic coronal mass
ejection (CME) travelling approximately 500 kilometres per second
away from the Sun. This material had been propelled away from the
Sun by the flare's energy.

Earth safe

The  ejected  material does not appear to be headed for Earth and
therefore  posses  not threat to disrupt communications. However,
if  the  active  region  produces further ejections in the coming
week, they could reach the Earth.

CME's can carry up to 10 billion tons of super-hot ionised gas at
speeds  as  high  as  2000  km/s. When they collide directly with
Earth  they  can  cause  so-called geomagnetic storms, which have
been linked to satellite communication failures.

In extreme cases, such storms can induce electric currents in the
Earth  and oceans that can interfere with or even damage electric
power transmission equipment.

[source:BBC.co.uk]
_*_____________________________________________________________*_
_*_____________________________________________________________*_
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
FINALLY! THE HISTORY OF DOS!

In  May  1979,  the  American company 'Seattle Computer Products'
made a plug-in printcard to the S-100 bus computer, that used the
Intel 8086 processer. One of the first of these cards, was placed
at  the  disposal  of Micro$oft. This small company was known for
their BASIC for the CP/M operating system. About two weeks later,
at  the  National  Computer Conference in New York, they showed a
BASIC  version for the Intel 8086 processer. In november 1979 the
sale  of  these cards began. Seattle Computer Products now waited
for Digital Research (actually, they had the somewhat pretentious
name of "Intergalactic Digital Research" at the time), to release
a new version of their operating system - CP/M. Half a year later
the  release  of a new CP/M was not in sight, so Seattle decided,
in  April 1980, to make its own operating system. In August 1980,
Seattle  started selling the first version of that new O/S, named
'QDOS   v0.10'.   It   was   fast   and  dirty,  but  it  worked.
(QDOS=Quick'n'Dirty Operating System.) In about October 1980, IBM
began  searching  the  market  for  an  operating  system for the
yet-to-be-introduced  new  IBM PC. IBM had originally intended to
use   Digital  Research's  CP/M  -  then  the  industry  standard
operating  system  -  you either ran a BASIC with disk functions,
someone's OS, or CP/M. Folklore reports various stories about the
rift  between  DRI  and  IBM.  The most popular story claims Gary
Kildall  or DRI snubbed the IBM executives by flying his airplane
when  the  meeting  was  scheduled.  Another story claims Kildall
didn't want to release the source for CP/M to IBM, which would be
odd,  since  they  released  it  to  other  companies.  One noted
industry   pundit  claims  Kildall's  wife  killed  the  deal  by
insisting  on  various  contract  changes. I suspect the deal was
killed by the good ol' boy network. It's hard to imagine a couple
of  junior  IBM  executives  giving  up when ordered to a task as
simple  as  licensing  an  operating  system  from  a  vendor. It
wouldn't  look  good  on  their  performance reports. It would be
interesting  to  hear  IBM's  story...  Well  IBM  then talked to
Micro$oft.  Micro$oft  was a language vendor. Bill Gates and Paul
Allen  had  written  BASIC and were selling it on punched tape or
disk.  Micro$oft  had  no real 8086 operating system to sell, but
quickly  made  a deal to license 'Seattle Computer Products', now
newly   released  86-DOS  v0.30  (QDOS  was  renamed  to  86-DOS)
operating system to IBM. 86-DOS v0.30 was approximately 4000 line
of  code.  This code was quickly polished up and presented to IBM
for  evaluation.  IBM found itself left with Micro$oft's offering
of  "Micro$oft  Disk  Operating  System  1.0".  An  agreement was
reached  between  the two, and IBM agreed to accept 86-DOS as the
main  operating  system for their new PC. Micro$oft purchased all
rights  to  86-DOS  in July 1981 (Now at 86-DOS v1.0, released by
Seattle  in  April  1981) and "IBM Personal Computer DOS 1.0" was
ready  for  the  introduction  of the IBM PC in October 1981. IBM
subjected  the operating system to an extensive quality-assurance
program,  reportedly  found  well  over  300 bugs, and decided to
rewrite  the  programs. This is why PC-DOS is copyrighted by both
IBM  and  Micro$oft. Some early OEM versions of DOS had different
names, such as Compaq-DOS, Z-DOS, Software Bus86, etc. By version
2.0  Micro$oft  managed  to persuade everyone but IBM to refer to
the  product as "MS-DOS". Although everyboby refers to IBM DOS as
PC-DOS,  this is not correct. Incidentally, IBM refers to its DOS
as  "The  IBM  Personal  Computer  DOS."  The  term "PC-DOS" is a
trademark  of IBM's rival DEC. It is sometimes amusing to reflect
on  the  fact  that the IBM PC was not originally intended to run
MS-DOS. The target operating system at the end of the development
was  for  a  (not  yet in existence) 8086 version of CP/M. On the
other  hand,  when  DOS was originally written the IBM PC did not
yet exist! Although PC-DOS was bundled with the computer, Digital
Research's  CP/M-86  would  probably have been the main operating
system for the PC except for two things - Digital Research wanted
$495  for  CP/M-86  (considering PC-DOS was essentially free) and
many  software  developers  found it easier to port existing CP/M
software  to  DOS  than  to  the  new version of CP/M. The IBM PC
shipped  without  an  operating system. IBM didn't start bundling
DOS  until  the  second generation AT/339 came out (PC-DOS v1.1 =
MS-DOS v1.24). You could order one of three operating systems for
your  PC, assuming you popped for the optional disk drive and 64K
RAM  upgrade  (base  models  had 16K and a cassette player port).
These  operating  systems  were  IBM Personal Computer DOS 1.0, a
version  of  the  UCSD  P-System,  which was an integrated Pascal
operating  system  something  like  the souped-up BASIC operating
systems   used  by  the  Commodore  64  and  others,  or  Digital
Research's  CP/M-86,  which was officially an option although you
couldn't  buy  it  until  later.  Since  IBM's $39.95 DOS was far
cheaper  than  anyone  else's  alternative,  darned near everyone
bought  DOS.  The first buyable MS-DOS version is v1.25 from July
1982.  Micro$oft sold this version to every computer producer who
showed  interest.  v1.25  is  the same as PC-DOS v1.10 and MS-DOS
v1.24.  Allthough  the O/S offered by Micro$oft to IBM was called
MS-DOS  v1.00,  it was never released to the public. MS-DOS v1.00
is 86-DOS v0.3.

The upgrade from DOS 3.3 to 4.0 was done in-house by IBM. DOS 4.0
was  a  completely IBM product, later licensed back to Micro$oft.
In  early  1990  IBM announced that it was ceasing development of
DOS and all further work would be done solely by Micro$oft. IBM's
PC-DOS  was  long considered to be the "standard" version of DOS.
Now  that MS DOS 5.0 is a commercial product most developers will
probably write for it.

The  version  history  of  Micro$oft  DOS. Includes QDOS, 86-DOS,
MS-DOS and PC-DOS. Sorted by release date and year.
Version Name   Release  Year Notes

0.1     QDOS   August   1980 Made by Seattle Computer.
0.3     86-DOS December 1980 Made by Seattle Computer.
1.0     86-DOS April    1981 Made by Seattle Computer.
1.00    PC-DOS August   1981 IBM first release, basicly the
                            same as 86-DOS
1.05    PC-DOS -        -    IBM internal.
1.10    PC-DOS June     1982 Bugfix, double sided floppy drive
                            support.
1.24    MS-DOS June     1982 The same as PC-DOS v1.10.
1.25    MS-DOS July     1982 The same as PC-DOS v1.10, first
                            non-IBM release of DOS
2.00    PC-DOS March    1983 For PC/XT, Unix-type subdirectory
                            support, installable device
                            drivers, I/O redirection,
                            subdirectories, harddisk support,
                            handle calls.
1.85    PC-DOS April    1983 IBM internal, extended v1.10.
2.01    MS-DOS May      1983 First support for individual
                            country formats, Kanji [ ? ].
2.10    PC-DOS October  1983 For IBM PCjr, bugfixes for 2.0.
                            No country support.
2.11    MS-DOS December 1983 Basically a cross of PC-DOS 2.10
                            and MS-DOS 2.01.
2.12    MS-DOS -        1983 Special version for TI pro.
3.00    PC-DOS August   1984 1.2 meg drive for PC/AT, some new
                            system calls, new external
                            programs, 16-bit FAT, specific
                            support for IBM network.
3.05    MS-DOS November 1984 First Non-IBM release of version
                            3.x.
3.10    PC-DOS November 1984 Bugfix for 3.0, implemented
                            generic network support.
2.25    MS-DOS October  1985 Extended foreign language
                            support.
3.20    PC-DOS January  1986 720k 3.5 inch drive support,
                            special support for laptops
                            (IBM PC Convertible), XCOPY.
                            Several localized versions
                            released, both MS-DOS and PC-DOS.
4.00    MS-DOS April    1986 Multitasking (Europe only) -
                            withdrawn from market after a
                            very short run.
3.30    PC-DOS April    1987 For PS/2 series, 1.44 meg support,
                            multiple DOS partition support,
                            code page switching, improved
                            foreign language  support, some
                            new function calls, support for
                            the AT's CMOS clock.
3.31    MS-DOS November 1987 Over-32 meg DOS partitions.
                            Different versions from different
                            OEMs (not Micro$oft). Compaq and
                            Wyse are most common.
3.40    PC-DOS -        1988 Internal IBM - not released (4.0
                            development).
2.11R   MS-DOS -        1988 Bootable ROM DOS for Tandy
                            machines.
4.00    PC-DOS August   1988 32mb disk limit officially
                            broken, minor EMS support, more
                            new function calls, enhanced
                            network support for external
                            commands. PCjr support dropped.
4.01    MS-DOS December 1988 Micro$oft version with some
                            bugfixes.
3.21R   MS-DOS September1989 DOS in ROM, Flash File System for
                            laptops.
3.3R    MS-DOS -        1990 DOS in ROM, introduced for TI
                            laptops.
5.00    MS-DOS June     1991 High memory support, uses up to 8
                            hard disks, command  line editor
                            and aliasing, 2.88 floppies,
                            ROMable OEM kit available.
5.02    PC-DOS August?  1992 Version that can run on other
                            computers then IBM build.
V       MS-DOS February 1993 Japanese-market version of 5,
                            with double byte Kanji character
                            support.
6.00    MS-DOS March    1993 Disk compression (Doublespace),
                            multiple configurations in
                            CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.
6.00    PC-DOS August?  1993 -
6.20    MS-DOS September1993 Rewrite of Doublespace.
6.21    MS-DOS -        1994 -
6.22    MS-DOS May      1994 New disk compression (Drivespace).
6.30    PC-DOS -        -    -
7.00    MS-DOS August   1995 This version is included with
                            Windows95.
7.10    MS-DOS August   1996 This version is included with
                            Windows95b OSR2.

[source:Lasse_Jensen1@online.pol.dk]

zeroG artlab rotterdam: {BULLETINE}
contact_1:  Károly Tóth (karoly.toth@excite.com)
contact_2:  Veronika László (terra@bart.nl)
phone_1:  +31 (0)10 2400390
phone_2:  +31 (0)10 2400391
0G is an independent art-lab.
We are in an evolving process of exchage with initiatives
of individuals and institutions, based on mutual sympathy.