Horea Avram on Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:09:33 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-ro] Fee-Free MFA for EU Citizens at Valand School of Fine Arts, Sweden

Valand School of Fine Arts at the University of Gothenburg
*Valand School of Fine Arts welcomes applicants to the MFA - Masters of
Fine Art Program*

*Applications: December 1–January 16, 2012
*
www.valand.gu.se/english

Share this: Facebook<
http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=7082&N=1396&L=21&F=H> | Twitter<
http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=7082&N=1396&L=179&F=H>

Founded in 1856, The Valand School of Fine Arts<
http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=7082&N=1396&L=2438&F=H> at the
University of Gothenburg<
http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=7082&N=1396&L=2441&F=H> remains a
significant force in training artists. With a long and vibrant history we
are continuing our dedication to the future of art with this invitation for
artists to join our full time, two-year Masters in Fine Art program in Fall
2012.

*About the Program*:

Primarily taught in English the program is predicated on supporting you to
engage this MFA as a critical foundation towards realizing your future as
an artist.  With a commitment to self-generated artistic enquiry and
collective learning experiences, alongside colleagues from our Bachelors,
Independent Study programs and our Research Centre—you will be encouraged
to explore, challenge, contextualize and further define your practice.

Without departments dedicated to specific mediums we stimulate practices
that are flexible and mutable but also acknowledge the depth of
investigation that may come through expansive enquiry within the challenges
of specific art traditions.

Our Masters enquirers articulate through combined critical action and
reflection via platforms such as: project and field-work, studio visits,
co-learning seminars, critical-writing workshops, presentation skills
training, group dialogue, international visits and exchanges, and diverse
modes of dissemination.

We believe communication to be a central condition of the twenty-first
century artist. Our program actively encourages you as an individual,
within a peer community, to also develop effective communication skills
through taught and facilitative means.

Our program has the scope for both studio-based and context-oriented
practitioners to consider how to locate and define the terms of engagement
of their practices within the field of contemporary art and related
discourses.

*Resources*:

We provide resources to allow for incremental experimentation and
longitudinal speculation throughout the two years to support our enquirers
to realize their potential, and by graduation to have substantiated a
dynamic and meaningful practice.

Valand is populated by an international teaching staff of active
practitioners including artists, curators, writers, critics, theorists and
researchers. Crucial to our program is the opportunity to also interact
with regular influential visitors to the school including artists, visual
arts professionals and thinkers who practice internationally.

Located in the city centre Valand has expansive workspaces and workshops,
an on-site gallery and off-site apartment in Berlin. To date a graduate
exhibition takes place in association with a major institution within the
city.

*Our Location*:

Gothenburg has a dynamic history as an industrial port and yet its edges
are skirted with unique archipelagos and landscapes. Home to an important
art Biennial, international film and theatre/dance festivals, Gothenburg's
culture of museums and art institutions are complemented by a developing
artist-led culture of exhibition and project spaces, publishing
initiatives, artists' studios and a vibrant music scene.

Valand continues to play a significant role in the cultural infrastructure
of the University itself, and Gothenburg as Sweden's second city. Being
positioned within mainland Europe with regional, national and international
transport links allows us to benefit from pan-European and global access.

*Fees and Application*:

*EU/EEA residents are exempt from fees*. Fees guidance is available here<
http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=7082&N=1396&L=2440&F=H>

We welcome you to make an application and to consider Valand as a
stimulating, challenging, supportive and highly resourced environment for a
Masters in Fine Art that will support your enquiry towards the future of
your practice.

To gain further information on Valand, its programs, staff and visitors;
and how to make an application by the deadline of 16 January: click here<
http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=7082&N=1396&L=2437&F=H>

MA Program Leader, Jason E. Bowman will be available to meet prospective
students in London, UK on the afternoon of Friday 16 December 2011.

To attend you must register by 17.00 on 7 December 2011 by contacting
anna.holgen@valand.gu.se<mailto:anna.holgen@valand.gu.se>

UNIVERSITY OF GOTHENBURG, Valand School of Fine Arts
Visiting address: Vasagatan 50
PO Box 132, 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Phone +46 31 786 51 00
Fax: +46 31 786 51 19