Tincuta Heinzel on Thu, 2 Sep 2010 12:36:28 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] EXTENDED DEADLINE: Call for Papers on Phenomenology of Digital Technologies

Following several requests related to the call for papers of "Studia
Philosophia" on "Phenomenology of Digital Technologies", we decided to
extend the dead-line until 30th of September 2010.

New dates:
Deadline for submissions: September 30, 2010.
Notification of acceptance: October 31, 2010.
Publication: December 2010
*

STUDIA *
UNIVERSITATIS BABES-BOLYAI
*PHILOSOPHIA Series *
ISSN 1221 - 8138

launches a
* CALL FOR PAPERS*

The topic for the third issue in 2010 is

*Phenomenology of Digital Technologies*
* CALL FOR PAPERS*
Studia Philosophia proposes an international debate on the phenomenon of
art, technology and scientific development in the present digital era,
focusing on the impact of the digital media in our lives.
Today's digital technologies have created a new model of understanding
different aspects of reality. The change they produced compels us to
reconsider the conditioning of our modern lives while their potential
demands to be explored. Penetrating and transforming everyday cultural
practices and spaces, they are defining our present paradigm. Communication
technologies and portable media devices are today omnipresent and are
increasingly ubiquitous and personalized.

By capturing and transforming the analog signal in digital form, we are
today capable to deal with information of all kinds brought to a common
denominator. The digitalization allows us to treat and to carry different
types of data with the same efficiency, but also to intermingle them. After
a period when the attention was focused on the structures of digital, today
we are facing a much more general concern related to the possibilities
offered by the interposition between analogue and digital data. With the
digitalization we assist to a phenomenon of automation which penetrates the
very aspects of our lives. Their alliance today with the spectrum of nano-
and bio-technologies is about to induce majors changes in the way we deals
with matter and identity.
If the matematization defined modernity, we also notice today a
re-evaluation of phenomenological aspects. What kind of models are we using
today in perceiving and understanding our environment? In which way these
models are to be found in the technological development? Can the
phenomenological approach and description bring light to the study of
digital structures? What are the means phenomenology provides for the study
of the digital technologies and their implications? Which are the potential
and the limits of the phenomenological method in the field? Are there new
models that impose themselves in the analysis of our highly technological
world?

By trying to answer all these questions, we intend to identify the relevance
of the phenomenological approach and method in the research of digital
technologies. Our goal in this special issue is to bring together papers
that explore the different ways in which philosophy, aesthetics, cognitive
science and computer sciences can be combined to offer a novel perspective
on digital technologies. Prospective authors are encouraged to take into
account the following areas:

*1. Digital Technology and Common Experience:*
* digital and new media art
* imaging and sound technology
* digital-being
* virtual and mixed realities
* augmented reality and augmented virtuality
* digital fiction and digital reality
* simulation and interactivity
* techno- and telepresence
* portable technology and technosomatics
* phenomenological exploration of the digital

*2. The Process of Digitalization:*
* data systems and models
* data structures and databases
* digitalization and digital literacy
* digital phenomenon
* techniques of representation and visualization
* digitalization and codification of experience
* codification and automation
* codification and materialization
* soft computation
* philosophy of science and phenomenotechnique

The papers and reviews will be selected from the submitted proposals on the
basis of double blind peer reviews. Authors should address the papers before
September 1st, 2010 and will be notified on the results via email by October
22, 2010.

* IMPORTANT DATES: *

Deadline for submissions: September 30, 2010.
Notification of acceptance: October 31, 2010.
Publication: December 2010
Papers should be written in English, French or German should not exceed
75.000 characters and should be accompanied by a short abstract written in
English (maximum 700 characters).
Submitted papers should be sent by e-mail to the Editorial Staff:
studia@hiphi.ubbcluj.ro in ".doc" or ".rtf" format as attachments only.

* INDICATIONS FOR THE AUTHORS*
For the submission of the papers, please follows the guidelines specified on
the journal's blog: http://studiaphilosophia.wordpress.com/indication/

* JOURNAL PRESENTATION*
The series Philosophia of Studia Universitatis Babeş - Bolyai (ISSN
1221-8138) is a peer reviewed journal devoted to promote a high level of
academic research in the field of philosophy and related fields; it strives
to foster a strong collaboration among senior and junior researchers from
Babes-Bolyai University Cluj-Napoca and from abroad.

Since 1955, academic journal Studia Philosophia, issued by the Department of
Philosophy in the Faculty of History and Philosophy, has been representing
an open arena for promoting research endeavours. Senior, as well as junior
academics, have found in Studia Philosophia a way of expressing their
preoccupations by publishing academic articles that have focused mainly on
the European experience and perspectives in various fields of philosophical
research.

* For more information please contact:*
Editor-in-chief: Associated Professor Ion COPOERU : copoeru(at)hotmail.com