bory on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:18:04 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-ro] For your attention

Bory spotted this on the Guardian Unlimited site and thought you should see it.

-------
Note from Bory:

Despre Anthony Gormley (sculptor britanic) shi ultimul lui proiect.
-------

To see this story with its related links on the Guardian Unlimited site, go to http://www.guardian.co.uk

Wanted: 240 model Geordies for Gormley
Peter Hetherington
Monday January 27 2003
The Guardian

First he created the Angel of the North, Britain's largest sculpture, based largely on impressions from a plaster cast of his body. Now Antony Gormley wants to repeat part of the exercise by casting 240 Geordies, aged between five and 95, in plaster for one of the largest exhibitions the country has seen.

He will use the casts to form a "sparkling myriad of stainless steel elements" - a series of shining, criss-cross body shapes - for a project known as Domain Field. Later this year they will line 800 metres of a large gallery in the new Baltic Centre for contemporary art on the south bank of the Tyne in Gateshead.

Finding potential candidates for the exercise has so far not been difficult: more than 300 people have expressed an interest. How they will survive the arduous task of standing naked for several hours is another matter.

First, they are covered in plastic film, then draped in cloth, and finally plastered in two sessions. The torso and legs come first. That can take up to 90 minutes. The arms and head then follow. Nina Byrne, of the Baltic, who was one of several volunteers for a trial run, said models had to come in the right frame of mind.

"It's all done standing up and you do feel like a bit of a mummy, although they leave a big hole for the nose and mouth," she said yesterday. "But you have to keep perfectly still. It's a mad kind of thing, but the end result is great - I felt really proud of myself."

Gormley said Domain Field represented a new approach for him - "community art in the truest sense" - and should be seen as a serious exercise in exploring new boundaries. "It's a big shift in my work, from using my own body as an example of the human condition, to trying to collaborate with people - creating a collective body, if you like, to represent the group, the community, the town."

The sculptor said that while he would do some of the casting himself, the project is so large that others were being trained. "We've made 20 trial casts already and it's going very well."

Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited