Leon Kuunders on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:31:01 +0100 (CET)

RE: [Nettime-nl] Globaliseringsmiddelpunt : de multinationalestaat

> Op geen enkele manier werd duidelijk hoe de vork precies in de steel zit,
> wat wij er als Nederlanders mee opschieten als onze belastingdienst
> vriendelijk is voor multinationals en wat deze gang van zaken
> betekent voor de Nederlandse reputatie in het buitenland.
> Misschien moeten we toch maar eens zelf op onderzoek uitgaan.
>
> Menno Grootveld

Uit http://www.nytimes.com/library/financial/sunday/040200biz-holland.html:

""We have always been a country of traders," said Pieter A. van Gulik,
deputy commissioner for foreign investment, pronouncing "traders" with a
very hard "d" sound clearly intended to bounce off the word "traitors," the
epithet nationalists in some countries spit at those who favor welcoming
multinationals with open arms. "Unlike some other countries in Europe, we
just don't have the same kind of nationalistic pride or loyalty that, say,
France has. It makes doing business here easier." So does a tax break for
expatriate employees who come here with the corporations: they need declare
only 65 percent of their income. The rule reduces the top tax rate from 52
percent to 33.8 percent, less than many expatriates would pay at home.

The come-hither strategy is working. About 57 percent of all foreign
headquarters in Europe are found in the Netherlands, with more than 6,800
foreign companies setting up shop here. Partly as a result, the country gets
more American investment than any country except Canada and Britain.

"The Netherlands has been a bit criticized for its openness," said Peter
Willeme, a partner at Arthur Anderson based in Amsterdam. "It's under
scrutiny now by the European Union for being so open. But that's because the
EU just doesn't understand." The European Union is looking hard at the tax
system, which gives companies wide latitude to negotiate with tax officials
over their liability. It is not uncommon for companies to be given "advance
tax rulings" pinning down their taxes for the next five years before they
have even committed to setting up shop here.

Accounting rules are none too rigorous: an official government brochure says
"a considerable freedom exists in adopting a suitable system" to calculate
taxable profit "as long as it is in accordance with sound business
practice." Dutch tax law also exempts dividends and capital gains from
foreign subsidiaries, making the country an ideal home for holding
companies, lawyers and bankers say."

Uit http://www.insead.edu/entrepreneurship/CLIMATE%20FOR%20GROWTH.pdf:
"Taking as the baseline for comparison the USA, which has a general capital
gains tax of 20% (with certain restrictions), some countries in Europe do
better than this, for example the Netherlands and Italy in certain
circumstances (see Figure 17)."

Het belastingklimaat in Nederland voor buitenlandse investeerders is bewust
gunstig. Dit heeft geresulteerd in grote investeringen in ons land door
grote multinationals. Mede hierdoor hebben we in Nederland het
welvaartsniveau dat we hebben. Natuurlijk zitten er wel eens een paar rotte
appels in de mand. Dat is de prijs die we betalen voor de
handelaarsmentaliteit die we hebben.

E-nough said.

-Leon.