Waag Sarai Exchange on Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:07:48 +0100 (CET)

[nettime-lat] Call For Proposals :: Short Term Fellowships

Waag Society / for Old and New Media (Amsterdam) and the Sarai Programme
of the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (Delhi) have
initiated a platform for collaboration on media culture. This has come
out of an on-going, long standing collaboration between the Waag Society
and Sarai since 2000. Waag Society / for Old and New Media was founded
in 1995 as a laboratory for research and development of cultural
applications of technology. Since then it has grown into a knowledge
institute in the field of new media with many national and international
work-relations. Its driving force is the interaction between technology
and culture. Since its establishment in 2000 as a programme of CSDS,
Sarai has grown into one of South Asia's best known initiatives on
media, urban culture and the public domain. Composed of both scholars
and practitioners, Sarai's work cuts across various disciplines and
networks, and exists in collaboration with partners in India and around
the world.

  The Waag-Sarai collaboration since 2000 has focused on building links
and collaborations between programmers, designers, scholars and
theorists between Europe and Asia. From its inception, the exchange has
been driven by a vision for certain shared values. In elaborating the
idea of the exchange, we would like these values to be maintained,
discussed and disseminated in a wide arc of initiatives. In particular,
we are concerned to reiterate the following:

  • Importance of the public domain
  • Access to media tools and innovation in media practices
  • Interdisciplinary research (between research and practice, and
across disciplines)
  • Setting up contexts for creativity and exploration of expressive means.
  • A critical reflection on the nature of collaboration between
different cultures

  We have been particularly concerned to address issues of inequality;
hierarchies of knowledge and of access, and a dialogue based cultural
practice. Here we particularly emphasize the importance of an engagement
with the immediacy and concreteness of local circumstances and
possibilities.

  We should reiterate that our understanding of 'new'-media derives from
the particular historical configurations: these include those of
innovation under conditions of large scale inequality, creative uses of
existing old media, and thriving informal networks in the societies of
Asia, Africa, the middle East and Latin America.

  We would like to draw upon this experience of Waag-Sarai
collaboration, and the institutional knowledge gained during this
process to encourage other emerging initiatives in the South. As part of
this the Waag-Sarai platform is proposing two short term Fellowships to
support proposals for emerging initiatives in the South focusing on the
themes outlined above.

The short-term fellowships are intended as seed money during which
successful applicants are expected to produce a document, which includes
the following:

  • A vision statement and long-term plan
  • A network architecture
  • A space design
  • Collaboration with other networks.

The fellowship is designed to help initiatives produce a coherent plan,
rather than set up the centre or network itself. The grant amount is a
total of 3,000 Euros and will run for six months.

The final document will be presented at a public workshop in Bangalore,
India in November 2004. The Waag-Sarai platform will cover the costs of
travel and board to Bangalore for the successful applicants. The
workshop in Bangalore will also enable the applicants to investigate
possibilities for future collaboration with the Waag Sarai Exchange
Platform on the basis of the presented plan.

The proposal should be mailed to exchange-platform@waag.org. Last date
31st March, 2004. The Fellowship will commence from 1st May,

--
waag sarai exchange platform | exchange-platform@waag.org |
http://sarai.waag.org