nettime_announcer on Sun, 10 Oct 1999 19:54:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 99.41

                                                                   - - - - - - -
  |||||-|||||                                                      | 9 9 . 4 1 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                                                         - - - -
                       NOMADS <nomads@nomadnet.org> : AUDIOPHFILE v1.0   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
             Gary Hall <gary.hall@connectfree.co.uk> : Call for papers   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
                   rc-am <rcollins@netlink.com.au> : Tampere update #3   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
   mezflesque.exe <mezandwalt@wollongong.starway.net.au> : Clone Alpha   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
  Donald Melanson <donald@mindjack.com> : Coercion excerpt in Mindjack   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
               Convergence <convergence@luton.ac.uk> : Call for papers   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
                      Gary Sullivan <gps12@columbia.edu> : r e a d m e   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Steve O'Keefe <excerpt@swbell.net> : Vinton Cerf on the Next 50 Years   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
                            Frederic Madre <fmadre@wanadoo.fr> : zac99   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
                        Valery Grancher <vgranger@imaginet.fr> : 24h00   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
   PARTNER GEGEN BERLIN <partner.gegen.berlin@rolux.org> : ambi in/out   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

Audiophfile v1.0 is now on-line at:
www.nomadnet.org

NOMADS is pleased to announce the launch of Audiophfile, a bimonthly sonic
art exhibition featuring experimental audio from around the globe. Version
1.0 features Colloid by Chirs Brokaw, 4Sections by Richard Chartier and
excerpts from Low Classical Usic by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE.

Audiophfile requires the Flash 4.0 plug-in and Netscape or Explorer 4.0+

An official launch party will be held on November 18 from 6:00-9:00 pm at
The Goethe Insitut, 814 7th St., NW, Washington, DC.

Audiophfile is funded in part by the DC Commission on the Arts and
Humanities and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Laura McGough
Co-Director, NOMADS
www.nomadnet.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

Call for Contributions

Culture Machine 3:
'Virologies: Culture and Contamination'

Editors for this edition:
Dave Boothroyd (University of Teesside)
Diane Morgan (University College of Northampton)

Culture Machine, the international, inter-active, electronic journal in
culture and theory, is currently seeking to publish work undertaken from

a variety of perspectives and disciplinary bases which addresses or
proposes analyses of culture, cultural ‘phenomena’, ‘forms’, ‘practices’

and ‘events’, in relation to theorizations of the nature/culture
distinction and the ideas of the human informed by post- and
anti-humanist thinking. Contributions on such themes as...

technology as evolution
wetware/software/hardware: rethinking evolution and developments in
bio-sciences
AIDS and the cultural imagination
psychoanalysis in post-human times
cultural transmission and pedagogy
cultural studies as resistance
cultural immunologies
viral communications
cross-culturalism as 'infection', cultural mutations and the evolution
of hybridities
purity and contamination in post-anthropological thought
bodies, foreign bodies and anti-bodies: new ideas of the
counter-cultural
mutation vs. progress: the politics of adaptation

... and other related topics suitable for this edition, in the form of
original finished articles, critical engagements with relevant key
texts, multi-media or hypertext  pieces and critical reviews, or
abstracts (of work in progress),  may be sent simultaneously to:

d.boothroyd@tees.ac.uk, diane.morgan@northampton.ac.uk

All contributions will be peer-reviewed;
All correspondence will be responded to.

For more details, see the attachment to this mail.

Visit the Culture Machine site at: http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk

Please feel free to forward this mail.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

Tampere Update #3

First of all some self-critics.

As organizers of the Tampere event we have spent a lot of time talking about
organizational aspect and technical items but we forgot the political aspects
of the counter-summit. Yes that´s true but we are still in time in order to
develop in Tampere also the debat between the different reality of the european
sans-papier network. We think that in Tampere we can really start to build a
real network. The results of this unformal work done until now are in any case
good. A lot of different things will happen in Europe in October 15 and 16. The
lack of the political debat is also undoubtly caused from a sostantial
uniformity of the point of view. In any case we hope that we will start to
discuss really concrete things in Tampere working groups as network, actions,
pratical solidarity and so.

We would like also to say that the counter-summit and the other event of this
autumn are not determinated from the side of the enemy. The Tampere counter-
summit is not an answer to a meeting of european govermnents but a part of a
process started from the antagonist side in French from 1995-96, followed by an
huge mobilisation in every corner of our continent. The process stops in april
99 in consequence of the Balkans war. Now is time to fight again not because
the EU have a summit but because the political process of formation of a
subjectivity is in action.

The third point is that we do not look for a media spectacle in Tampere in
opposition to the spectacle of the EU. For us is not important to have just a
good demo but for us is important to give a strong signal to the society, to
immigrants, to all the people involved in our common struggle and to build a
real network of real struggles.

For this reason this Tampere update #3 is an appeal to act in your country and
an appeal to come in Tampere. We really need the presence of every single
person of every single collective. The situation at the moment is that police
will try to marginalize our event and will try to reduce our public space and
visibility. The intention is clear because the decisions that the EU will take
in Tampere are not only secret (no information about the contempt of the
summit) but also really dramatic for immigrants and for society in general. The
EU will open a new chapter made of militarization of territories and borders,
made of mass expulsion, made of prisons for sans-papier. A new chapter of death
and repression for all.

We ask to all the activists of European networks to come in Tampere. We are
ready to make all the necessary efforces in order to arrange flexible
transportations and accomodations in Tampere and also in Helsinki.
At the moment groups from Germany, Italy, French, Yugoslavia, Sweden and other
countries have informed us that they will be in Tampere. Also representative of
the immigrants associations in Finlands will join the event.

We really hope to see also you in Tampere.

The organizers of the Tampere counter-summit

www.ecn.org/finlandia/tampere
finlandia@ecn.org

---
Program of the anti-summit

Friday 15.10.

Arrival in Tampere and accomodation at Tammela school, (500 m. from the Railway
station/ Tampere is a small city and is easy to find the school). (cost for
accomodation for night 5 euros, pls. take a sleeping bag with you).

Concert at I-club at 9 pm. (punk, hc, reggae etc. and tables with political
materials). (6 euros). For people not interested in the concert unformal
meetings at the school.

Saturday 16.10.

Workshops (10 am-2.30 pm). At least 3 groups:
*European network of immigrants struggles
*Antifascism
*Citizenship income working group projecting also the events for december 99.

Demo (3 pm at Tampere Keskustori)

Sunday 17.10.

Seminar on immigrants struggles in Europe. (speakers form French, Italy,
Germany, Finland and representative of immigrants associations)

Departure from Tampere
…
Transportation will be arranged from all the major Finnish cities.
Transportation for foreign delegations from Helsinki and Turku (cost of the bus
ticket to Tampere and back 12 euros). The busses will depart to Tampere on
Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, transportation back from Tampere on
Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
…
Food is arranged by the organizers at the school cost from 2 to 4 euros.
…
Together with the counter summit take place the event multimedia event "cross
the border". Pls. visit the site www.kiasma.fi/temp

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

::begin::
Alpha state

Figurehood and debasing into hell

One + one + won

I see and can't touch

I touch and can't be seen

My hand, my hand hurts
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
::end::

curious about cloneing?
patterning sequencing your thang?
find splicing seductive?

look to the Clone Alpha, and u will be an[ne]swered.

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~garu/calpha.htm

*****************************+**********************+
[this project brought to u via Point In the Fluid Productions].

+IF fle.shh! = sub.stance of n anim[us].all body//sur.face of the body
+       [lectric__bone______ crust_______ &_________ hardware________ bitten]
+THEN *.esque = n-dicating style, manner, or dis[funct]tinc.tive
charact[.h]er
+                       _____________________________________
+wollongong.starway.net.au/~mezandwalt <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[flesque is born]

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know we have an exclusive excerpt from Douglas
Rushkoff's new book, "Coercion", in the latest issue of Mindjack Magazine
(http://www.mindjack.com).

Here's the direct URL for the excerpt:
http://www.mindjack.com/rushkoff/coercion.html

For those unfamiliar with it, Mindjack is a bi-monthly online magazine about
technology and culture, and the relationships between the two.  Comments and
suggestions are welcome.

Donald Melanson
Editor-in-Chief
Mindjack Magazine
http://www.mindjack.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies
*CALL FOR PAPERS*

The Winter 2000 issue of Convergence (vol. 6, no. 4) will be devoted to
the theme of 'Intelligent Environments'.

The development of digital techniques for computation and communication
has had a profound impact on contemporary culture. Desktop portable and
hand held devices and the networks that interconnect them have altered
the way that work and communication is undertaken. Much effort has been
expended in theorising the nature of these changes and the interfaces
that are required by and for them.

At the same time, a quiet revolution has been underway. The number and
the distribution of embedded controllers far exceeds those of dedicated
information processing machines. These devices are beginning to alter
the nature of the fabric from which environments are constructed as well
as the behaviours that are exhibited by them. Objects and environments
with embedded sensor-effector and processing capabilities are becoming
commonplace. Adaptive, interactive and autonomous material systems
suggest that the relationship between humans and material culture is
undergoing a fundamental shift. Discourses drawn from
architectural/environmental and media theory are not significantly
adapted to this new condition. Critical design practice, in these terms,
is not yet well established.

Submissions are welcomed relating to the cultural and cognitive dimensions
of interactions with intelligent environments from both the theoretical
perspective and that of technical, artistic and cultural practices and
products. Research papers may include a range of related issues, such
as cooperative buildings or environments, intelligent rooms,
structures, or objects, interfaces to situated and embodied media,
interaction with and interfaces to distributed systems, human-machine,
human-environment and human-agent interaction, especially that which
does not depend upon symbolic, representational or linguistic
interfaces. 'Intelligent Environments' will promote a critical
understanding of the issues that surround the relationship between
humans and adaptive, interactive intelligent and autonomous
environments.

Copy deadline for refereed research articles:  *30 April 2000*

All proposals, inquiries and submissions for this special issue to:

Ted Krueger
Assistant Professor of Architecture
Director of Information Technology
206C Vol Walker Hall
School of Architecture
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
USA

Tel: + 1 501-575-7102
Fax: +1 501-575-7099
Email: tkrueger@comp.uark.edu
http://comp.uark.edu/~tkrueger

All other editorial inquiries, general proposals and submissions to

Julia Knight/Jeanette Steemers/Alexis Weedon
Editors, Convergence
School of Media Arts
University of Luton
75 Castle Street
Luton, LU1 3AJ
UK

phone +44 1582 34111
fax + 44 1582 489014
email convergence@luton.ac.uk

information and for details of back issues see our web site at
http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence

The copyright of all articles, papers, reports and reviews published
in Convergence rests with John Libbey Media at the University of Luton
Press.  Any author(s) wishing to have their published text reproduced
elsewhere should seek the necessary permission via the Editors.

Edited by Julia Knight and Alexis Weedon
Department of Media Arts,
University of Luton,
75 Castle Street,
Luton. LU1 3AJ.
UK
Editorial e-mail: Convergence@luton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 1582 489031/489144. Fax: +44 1582 489014.

Subscriptions and samples from the University of Luton Press at the
above address.
E-mail: ulp@luton.ac.uk Tel:+44 1582 743297. Fax: +44 1582 743298.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Hello everyone,

r e a d m e is now up:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/history/detour/readme

I n t e r v i e w s

Charles Bernstein (by Bradford Senning)
Mary Burger (by Jacques Debrot)
Jeff Clark (by Jordan Davis)
Nada Gordon (by Gary Sullivan)
Randolph Healy (by Robert Archambeau)
Kent Johnson (by John Bradley)
Rebecca Levi (by GS)
Ange Mlinko (by GS)
Alan Sondheim (by GS)

E s s a y s

Jack Kimball on John Wieners
Kimberly Lyons on Women and the Poetry Project
Alan Sondheim's "" or Practice

P o e t r y

Daniel Davidson's Last Poems
Nada Gordon "essay"
Joel Lewis "The Pethro Poems"
Kimberly Lyons "Concordonnance"
Alan Sondheim "Selected Works"

R e v i e w s

Nada Gordon on Andrea Brady's Liberties
Jeffrey Jullich on Aaron Shurin's Paradise of Forms
Ramez Qureshi on J.H. Prynne's Collected Poems
Gerald Schwartz on Kamau Brathwaite
Heather Fuller on Jeff Conant

A  S p e c i a l    S e c t i o n   o n   D a n i e l   D a v i d s o n
w i t h   w r i t i n g   b y

George Albon
Bruce Andrews
Dodie Bellamy
Jeff Conant
Beverly Dahlen
Greg Fuchs
Benjamin Friedlander
Kevin Killian
Colleen Lookingbill
Aldon Nielsen
Charles Pollack
Gary Sullivan
Jordan Zorker

L i n k s

Links to bios, interviews with and work by more than 400 20th century
"non-mainstream" authors (constantly updated; feel free to suggest further
URLs).

r e a d m e is a quarterly online journal of poetics featuring interviews,
essays and reviews germane to contemporary poetry. Poetry published only in
tandem with author interviews and/or critical prose, except in cases of
poem-as-reading/critique. Queries welcome. A letters page will be included
in subsequent issues. Please send all queries and correspondence via email:
gps12@columbia.edu or to Gary Sullivan, 558 11th Street, #1B, Brooklyn, NY
11215.

Next issue: Interviews with Hoa Nguyen, Laurie Price, Rod Smith, and more ...

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

I have permission from Copernicus Books to distribute an excerpt from the
new anthology, "Talking Back to the Machine." The excerpt is an insightful
and humorous commentary on the future of the Internet by none other than
Vinton Cerf, co-developer of TCP/IP, and often referred to as the "Father
of the Internet."

Cerf's tumbling monologue begins and ends with speed- related issues: the
lust for prompt delivery of goods & services, the restrictions of
bandwidth. In between, he touches on standards, telecommuting,
videoconferencing, and
how the Internet will be incorporated into appliance design, leading to
such things as reading glasses that display the web and "smart toilets."

"Talking Back to the Machine" is a collection of 16 speeches given at the
50th Anniversary conference of the Association for Computing Machinery
(ACM). Luminaries such as Gordon Bell (DEC), Pattie Maes (MIT), Nathan
Myhrvold
(Microsoft), Brenda Laurel, Reed Hunt (FCC), Bruce Sterling, and Nobel
laureate Murray Gell-Mann, were asked to speculate on technology's impact
on the human condition in the next 50 years. Carefully edited by Peter J.
Denning for print publication, these speeches are refreshingly free of
tables, charts or jargon, and cover such wide-ranging ground as education,
time travel, culture, business, entertainment, and war.

To get the excerpt from "Talking Back to the Machine," simply send
mailto:excerpt@tenagra.com with the subject line, "Send Cerf," and I will
reply with a text file. You can find more information about the book at the
ACM's web site: http://www.acm.org

Thanks,
Steve O'Keefe

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

http://pleine-peau.com with/for http://campus.ensba.fr/infozone         presents
with/for zac99 with/for le musee d'art moderne de la ville de paris     presente
.
.
.

net.art.in.europe.
8.   o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
d2b / France / http://www.d2b.org
olga kisseleva / France / http://www.fraclr.org/hay/pindex.html

net.art.in.europe.
9.   o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
Alison Craighead et Jon Thomson / UK / http://www.thomson-craighead.net
0100101110101101.ORG / Italie / http://www.0100101110101101.ORG
Tilman Baumgaertel / Allemagne / http://www.thing.de/tilman

net.art.in.europe.
10.  o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
Jodi / Pays-Bas / http://www.jodi.org
Alexei Shulgin / Russie / http://www.easylife.org
Vuk Cosic / Slovenie / http://www.vuk.org
Heath Bunting / UK / http://irational.org
Olia Lialina / Russie / http://www.teleportacia.org

.
.
.
independent.media.strategies.
16.   o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
Pit Schultz / Allemagne / http://www.mikro.org
Florian Schneider / Allemagne / http://www.contrast.org/borders
Diana McCarty / Hongrie / Faces mailing-list
Michel Fiszbin / France / http://www.medialibre.org
Fredox / France / http://www.lederniercri.org
David Hudson / Allemagne / http://www.rewired.com

independent.media.strategies.
17.   o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
Rachel Baker / UK / http://irational.org/tm
Matthew Fuller / UK / http://bak.spc.org/iod/
Pauline Van Mourik Broekman / UK / http://www.metamute.com
Josephine Berry / UK / http://www.yourserver.co.uk/crashmedia
Martin Conrads / Allemagne / http://www.art-bag.net/convextv

.
.
.
art.vs.economy.
23.   o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
Freitag Taschen / Suisse / http://www.freitag.ch
MBetvous / France /
Noel Pujol :Frédéric Bocquet / France / http://campus.ensba.fr/pujol
ALL.QUIET / UK / http://www.t0.or.at/~all.quiet/
Undercurrents / UK / http://www.undercurrents.org /

art.vs.economy.
24.   o    c    t    o    b    r    _    1    9    9    9
The Western Lands / France / http://www.interpc.fr/mapage/westernlands
Ukyio Camera Systems / Allemagne /
Ludovic Burel / France / http://www.491.org/projet/api
Thierry Théolier / France / "Approved by ALIBI<->ART/PARIS
Jean Marc Manach / France / http://emedia.free.fr
Ray Thomas / USA / http://rtmark.com/

location.
musee d'art moderne de la ville de paris / France /
palais de tokyo
metro alma-marceau / France / http://www.ratp.fr

hrs.
12am-06pm

mailing-list.
mailto:palais-tokyo-list-request@pleine-peau.com
with the word
subscribe
in the body of the message

web.site.
tba.

contacts.
jens gebhart mailto:infozone@ensba.fr <> frederic madre mailto:fmadre@wanadoo.fr

http://pleine-peau.com with/for http://campus.ensba.fr/infozone         presents
with/for zac99 with/for le musee d'art moderne de la ville de paris     presente
.
.
.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

I have the pleasure to announce that my last on line project produced in
the Berkeley art musueum context is now on Line:
http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/exhibits/24h00

Yours,

Valery Grancher
vgranger@imaginet.fr
http://nomemory.tsx.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

/* from: natascha <tasche@de-bug.de> */

ambi in/out
haus des lehrers
alexanderplatz 4
berlin

october 9.-24.
saturdays - tuesdays
16h - open end

dates:

sa.9.10.  21h
berlin - sinfonie der grossstadt
walther ruttmann 1927
live-soundtrack traveler + neukleus

mo.11.10.  21h
fieldrecordings from the area - tim tetzner

tue.12.10.  21h
monitor 48   videos   lisa ward + rolf pilarsky

sa. 16.10.  19h
sound-space-environment
talk with bernhard leitner

so.17.10. 21h
ambitalk with diedrich diederichsen

mo.18.10. 21h
media-smog night

tue.19.10.  21h
acoustically trapped gases   friedrich + lusted

wed.20.10.  21h
dj taz-kultur   harald fricke

thu. 21.10. 21h
live and artificial
teleform + markus maeder (domizil)

fr.22.10.  20h
psychedelic landart   bettina allamoda

sa.23.10. 16h
mallday

+ a series of installational work and work in progress:

ambi in/out - rashad becker
text to speech - bestbefore/istvan gyoengyoesi
simcity - rolux
osziloscope images - errorsmith
stefan pente
kugeln der sorge
susanne kersenboom
rena raedle/carsten assauer
ute waldhausen
nina fischer/maroan el sani
philip scheffner
stefan schneider
pro qm (?)

the programm/content of ambi in/out is permanently under construction
and is updated on the website.

http://www.ambi-in-out.de