Patrice Riemens on Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:44:38 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> FW: US Urges Ban of Internet Crypto (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from felipe rodriquez -----

>From discussion-request@hippiesfromhell.org Thu Jul 29 11:55:07 1999
From: "felipe rodriquez" <felipe@xs4all.nl>

>From cryptography-owner@c2.net  Thu Jul 29 02:54:16 1999
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:17:08 -0400
To: cryptography@c2.net
From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: US Urges Ban of Internet Crypto

The Austrian journal Telepolis today published a letter from Janet Reno to
the German Justice Minister urging a ban of crypto products on the
Internet. We've made a translation of the report which includes Reno's
letter:

   http://jya.com/reno-ban.htm

Here's an excerpt of Reno's letter:

"Much work remains to be done. In particular, I believe we must soon
address the risks posed by electronic distribution of encryption software.
Although the Wassenaar Nations have now reached agreement to control the
distribution of mass market encryption software of certain cryptographic
strength, some Wassenaar Nations continue not to control encryption
software that is distributed over the Internet, either because the
software is in the "public domain" or because those Nations do not control
distribution of intangible items. While I recognize that this issue is
controversial, unless we address this situation, use of the Internet to
distribute encryption products will render Wassenaar's controls
immaterial."