cisler on Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:39:32 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Language of War

From: Mima <mdedaic@VOA.GOV>
To: <DISCOURS@LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 5:46 PM
Subject: Call for papers - Language of War

> CALL FOR PROPOSALS:
>                Edited Volume on LANGUAGE / WAR / CONFLICT
>

> We are working on a project entitled  *AT WAR WITH WORDS*. Several
> publishers have expressed preliminary interest. We are looking for
> several theoretically-informed essays (25-30 pages finished length, not
> including notes or tables) addressing the relationship between
> linguistic usage and political competition, conflict, turmoil, and war.
>
> Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
>
> -- State-imposed language use.
> -- Politically inspired language change and language shift.
> -- Language of media in a war-torn country.
> -- Language of media covering a war.
> -- The (linguistic) construction of identities in new political
> settings.
> -- Language of political speeches, interviews, debates, letters,
> documents...
> -- Language of personal accounts in the midst of war.
> -- Ideology and power vs. language.
>
> Other topics are welcomed as long as the focus of the paper centers on
> interdependence of language and politics.
>
> All theoretical approaches are welcome. Scholars involved in discourse
> analysis techniques, pragmatics, quantitative studies, and political
> writing contexts are especially of interest. Please do not submit work
> that is primarily anecdotal or descriptive.
>
> Abstracts of 500-750 words are requested by October 15, 1999,
> accompanied by a short bibliography (a couple of paragraphs).
>
> Email submission of abstracts and bios is preferred. Those writers whose
> abstracts are selected for inclusion will be notified by December 1,
> 1999. Completed papers will be expected by May 15, 2000. Any accepted
> paper must be in Chicago-style format.
>
> Please send all inquiries/abstracts to:
>
> Dr. Daniel N. Nelson (Editor of International Politics)
> and
> Mirjana Nelson Dedaic (Department of Linguistics, Georgetown University)
>
> P. O. Box 20046
> Alexandria, VA 22320
>
> or
>
> GLOBCON@EROLS.COM
>
> Please, examine the INTERNATIONAL POLITICS, Vol. 36/No. 2 wherein you
> will see several articles devoted to the theme of language and politics.
>
> http://www.muohio.edu/~intlpols/IPOL3602.html
>
> You will help us by forwarding this message to anyone who may be
> interested. Thank you.

#  distributed via nettime-l: no commercial use without permission of author
#  <nettime> is a moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
#  un/subscribe: majordomo@bbs.thing.net and
# "un/subscribe nettime-l you@address" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org/ contact: <nettime@bbs.thing.net>