Ivo Skoric on Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:00:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> (Fwd) [webstock] genocideexerps from an article by Steven Erla

] genocideexerps from an article by Steven Erlanger, publishedin the
International herlad Tribune, on saturday 10 April 1999.Belgrade- Aca
Singer, who lost 65 members of his family in the Holocaust, says he
did not survive Auschwitz t Once again, here is info that you could
find in another support of information ( IHT) but that is specific
and relevant enough to our concernsto be quoted partially here:
"Surviving Auschwitz and Belgrade" exerps from an article by Steven
Erlanger, publishedin the  International herlad Tribune, on saturday
10 April 1999.

Belgrade-

Aca Singer, who lost 65 members of his family in the Holocaust, says he did not
survive Auschwitz to die from an American bomb.

" When the Americans bombed the death camps at the end of WWII, I was very
happy". he said, sitting in the library of the federation of Jewish comuhnities
of Yougoslavia, wh ich he heads.

3The I thought ' Kill me if bnecessary, but kill the Nazis'. And a lot of jews died at the end  from US bombers, and we were not unhappy to see the bombs".
But today, he says, as nato bombs and missiles smash civilian and official buildings in central belgrade, " we do not have this feeling- quite the reverse".
(...)

Mr Singer, a retired banker, and amateur historian, is one of the leaders of
the 3500 Yougoslav Jews, about 2000 of whom live in Belgrade.

The figures include those whose mothers are not Jewish, he said, so long as
they regard themselves as Jews.

The first known reference to Jews living in Belgrade dates back to 1337, he
said. In 1941, 82240 jews lived in Yougoslavia, mr Singer has written, but only
15000 survived WWII, and many of those emigNow, under the pressure of the
bombs, he says, Jews are again leaving Yougoslavia for shelter abroad.
(...)

"Every Serb has a relative in the countryside where his family can stay" he
said." But the Jews here are a city people. We have no such place to send our
children. Our families are in Israel or elsew"i really do not sense
anti-Semitism in the general pop ulation here, as in other countries", he said.
"Since the war began, there have been a few slogans scrawled on a synagogue
wall, but nothing mor(...) What most infuriates the gentle Mr Singer, he freely
admits, is the use of the word" "genocide" by all parties-the Serbs, the ethnic
Albanians, and, he says, the Americans.

" There is a tendency to manipulate with the Jews, he said, to use the unique
experience of the Holocaust as propaganda of justification for policy
misjudgments".

"What happened in Bosnia, Croatia or Kosovo, however horrible, he says, is not
genocide".

"Ii don't at all agree that this is genocide. There was no effort to
exterminate an entire race-men, women, and children-merely because of their
religious or ethnic identity".

3"Botht the serbs abd Alabanians pressure us for sympathy and comparaison", he
said wrily.

"65 members of my family were killed in Auschwitz, and I know all htei names,
first name and surname. The youngest was a baby, and the oldest, my
grand-father's brother was 92.  65 people killed because they were Jewish only.
That is genocide".(..)I

shop.theglobe.com * One Stop Shopping * Free Shipping in the U.S.!
Live Personal Shopper * Satisfaction Guaranteed * No Hassle Returns!
Accessories, Apparel, Gourmet, Jewelry, Kids, Outdoors, Sports, More!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/7

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/webstock

---