olia lialina on Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:00:27 +0100 (MET)

Re: <nettime> art and business: report from cyber.salon

dear Armin,

> But what I am concerned with is that
> this more technologically creative work seems to almost have vanished from
> the scene. We have got the Netscape.artist, the Macromedia.artist, the
> Silicon Graphics artist but not much beyond that.

One more problem. we have got Microsoft Word
7.0.writes, WordPad.writers and NotePad.writers but not much beyond
that.

btw: Webstalker by I/O/D won Mr.net.art title some days ago. and i'm
sure such experiments with brosers will be  actual this year. They are
very interesting and very technologically creative. But following your
logic one could say: "in 1998 we have got  MicrosoftC.artists,
GCC.Artists, but nothing beyond". Perfect logic

> market situation. There is a market for digital images created by artists,
> but there is no market for browsers programmed by artists.

and there is no market for browsers programmed by doctors, teachers,
prostitutes, singers, journalists.

> And even more
> important: It takes a hell of a lot more time and knowledge to do
> something technologically creative than to hack out a few pages in HTML.

Useful phrase for those who wants to save more money buying net art ;)

btw: Webstalker by I/O/D won Mr.net.art title some days ago. and i'm
sure such experiments with brosers will be  actual this year. They are
very interesting and very technologically creative. But following your
logic one could say: "in 1998 we have got  MicrosoftC.artists,
GCC.Artists, but nothing beyond". Perfect logic

olia
---