Roos van Duuren on Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:55:22 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> WorkSpace program TMN

The Tactical Media Network in Kassel

We hereby send you a list of topics we want to discuss and things we
want to do during our stay in the Hybrid Workspace at Documenta. There
are only a few people physically present in Kassel, but we have planned
a lot of videoconferences, telephone interviews and other online
connections with people and organisations around the world. We'll make
daily reports on our website: http://www.waag.org/tmn  and you can
follow and participate in the discussions on the Documenta site:
http://www.icf.de/workspace and in the newsgroup

The program is very flexible. We invite everyone to join all the
discussions and debates. We will also invite the other guests of
Documenta to participate in this project. Please give us your
suggestions, remarks, and let us know in which part of the program you
would like to participate.

Regards,

Roos van Duuren,
Menno Grootveld,
David Garcia,
Geert Lovink

Thursday August 7th: Tactical Media Network
- 16.00 Presentation of the Tactical Media Network by David Garcia,
Menno Grootveld, Geert Lovink and Roos van Duuren. Guests: Don de Silva
and Silvia Mejia Showing of videotapes to illustrate tactical media

Friday August 8th: HIP (Hacking in Progress, 3 days hackers meeting in
Almere, Holland)
- 15.00: showing of the 'Eurostop' material: video and web sites
- 16.00: HIP: Live showing of a debate at HIP by Contrast.org (Webcam
and real audio):
"Together with a small group of engaged computer professionals,
Contrast.org organized Eurostop in June, 1997. We covered the
alternative and radical events around the European intergovernmental top
meeting on the internet, by feeding as much information and AV as we
could find, to the Eurostop web site. We will give a presentation of
what we did there, and of our other projects."
http://www.contrast.org
special attention for http://www.contrast.org/eurostop/
- 1700: HIP: Tactical Media Forum: TMN, IIMF, video link with Toronto,
Kassel, Almere
Discussion concerning the tactical media network, net activism and the
formation of an International Independent Media Federation and the
importance of this Canadian/American initiative for Europe. "This
initiative may be a real possibility to connect radical media and
enhance the cooperation between them". Contrast invited several people
to discuss this idea.  They would welcome the foundation of a European
Chapter of the International Independent Media Federation, and hope that
the exchange will be inspiring..
see also the article at:
http://freeteam.xs4all.nl/cgi-bin/ft1?menu=10.5&fi=126
Media Collective Toronto: http://www.tao.ca

Saturday 9 and Sunday 10:
More video links with the HIP, showing of lectures, small debates, chat
sessions and interviews. The program depends also on the HIP
activities/program.

The program for Monday till Saturday 16th is not fixed yet but these are
the topics:

1. Silvia Mejia, Colombia. She was the winner of the award for producing
the best documentary on women and development and uses video as therapy
for women  prisoners in
Colombia: "First I would like to expose and illustrate with video
examples,the process of video-therapy which we have  been implementing
here in Colombia with women in jail and pregnant adolescents. The second
issue which we think is extremely important to pay attention to, is the
VIRTUAL SOCIETY, its dangers and alternatives of how to face it. It will
be good to organize a discussion about the social and spiritual
implications of Globalization,  virtual reality, and other technological
projections for the future. During this discussion space I would like to
bring up the concept of TECHNOLOGY, illustrating it with captions."

2. 'Former Yugoslavia'
- Video: 'Closure of independent radio stations'
- Showing of 'Zombietown', Belgrade during the war
- A link with the independent radio station B92 to discuss the present
situation
- Interview with Boro Kontic, who teaches journalists in former
Yugoslavia how to be objective. An interview about the so-called
independent media.
- Video: 'Mafia in Belgrade', interview with the producer

3. Migrant Media
- The Netherlands: videotape by Migrant TV in Amsterdam and an interview
on video with Gerard Retijch, chief editor of Migrant Media.
- Migrant media in Great Britain
- On-line discussion with Salto, the open channel in Amsterdam

4. Eco Warriors
Great Britain: groups like Undercurrents, Small World, MacLibel, and
personal initiatives concerning eco issues.
- A video by Kevin Jarvis about the remarkable protests against new
roads through ancient woods. Hopefully an on-line discussion with Kevin
Jarvis and people from Ruigoort, who are dealing wit a similar situation in
Holland
and who are being trained by the British how to protest successfully.
- The MacLibel case against MacDonalds
- A videotape by Gargi Sen from India about ecological problems in India
and the way tactical media makers deal with that. A live interview with
Gargi Sen.

5. Networks
Tactical Media Network
International Freedom of Expression exchange (IFEX), Canada
http://www.ifex.org
Devmedia http://tdg.uoguelph.ca/~drichard/devmedia
Internews
Toronto Media Collective http://www.tao.ca/~jesse
Paper Tiger/Deep Dish http://www.papertiger.org/
Agencia Informativa Pulsar (Latin America radio news agency)
http://www.web.net/amarc/pulsar.html
Free Speech TV http://www.freespeech.org/html/offline.html#
International Independent Media Federation
etcetera. What are the wishes and possibilities for collaboration.
Interviews with Kristina Stockwood (IFEX) and Bruce Gerard (Agencia
Informativa Pulsar)

6. People's Communication Charter
A project seeking to give the rights of media access and literacy the
same status as other human or civil rights. The Tactical Media Network
hosts the PCC. An interview with one of the initiators, professor Cees
Hamelinck.
http://www.waag.org/pcc

Roos van Duuren
Society for Old and New Media, De Waag, Nieuwmarkt 4, 1012 CR Amsterdam,
vox: +31-20-5579806, fax: +31-20-5579880, URL: http://www.waag.org

Roos van Duuren
Society for Old and New Media, De Waag, Nieuwmarkt 4, 1012 CR Amsterdam,
vox: +31-20-5579806, fax: +31-20-5579880, URL: http://www.waag.org/pcc

---