John Perry Barlow on Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:37:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Manifestoism?

At 10:34 PM -0400 8/4/97, { brad brace } wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Aug 1986, teo spiller wrote:
>
>> But who and how can break those barriers?
>

>We need to reestablish the division between policy and administration, and
>end the cult of the Hero; widen the meaning of knowledge; end the alliance
>between barbarism (the generals, Heroes, stars, speculators) and
>technocracy;  denigrate self-interest, meaningless power, cynicism,
>rhetoric; and for that matter, simply change our elites.

Yeah. Exactly. You got a new elite you prefer.

I'm working for technarcy, not technocracy, in which we are organized by
ideas and not their administrators. More on this later.

Cheerz,

John Perry

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

MegaPhone: 800/654-4322

Barlow in Meatspace Today: New York ---> Accra, Ghana

Coming soon to: Mombasa 8/7, Nairobi 8/10 - 11, ?, Africa 8/12-24, Salt
Lake City 8/25, Pinedale, Wyoming 8/26-9/8, Geneva 9/9-10, Africa 9/10-22,
Washington, DC 9/22, London 9/23-26, Lander, Wyoming 9/27-28, Orlando
9/29...

We must find out what words are and how they function. They become images
when written down, but images of words repeated in the mind and not of the
image of the thing itself."

                              	-- W.S. Burroughs (1914 - 1997)

---