Alberto Gaitan on Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:12:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Declaration of the Obsolescence of Cyberhy

> From:          richard@hrc.westminster.ac.uk (Richard Barbrook)
> I was most amused by Alberto Gaitan's recent piece of biobabble. Don't these
> people ever read any history? The money-commodity economy is an incredibly
> recent invention. If we're going to talk about a 'natural' forms of economy,
> humans lived in hunter-gather and subsistence agricultural societies for
> many many thousands of years before capitalism emerged. Even after this

I said nothing about the newness or oldness of the
"money-commodity economy."  Also, my babble was not meant
as a defense of Capitalism or any other market system.  I was
examining the utility of biological models in describing economic
models.  Substitute any commodity for money.  In hunter-gatherer
society you can substitute water, flint, protein, carbos, fat,
salt, etc, for money.

Alberto Gaitan