Mark Stahlman (via RadioMail) on Fri, 28 Mar 1997 02:38:57 +0100 (MET)

Re: <nettime> metatainment

Jon:

How tiresome. Sigh.

The whole question of WIRED needing new "Ideology" (i.e. Kevin's goofy
posts of late -- which got the "metatainment" thread going hereabouts) is
the issue at hand.  As you recall I have had more than a little to do with
this phase of the follies.  That's the "all this" referred to above not the
earlier "Goofy" phases.

The whole "Goofy" thread has been about public lynching from the beginning
(not seriously talking about WIRED, but fueled instead off shocked
reactions to nettime essays) and the last many hundred posts have had my
neck in that noose -- right where I put it, of course.

It's funny how some folks are uncomfortable with the way these things
really work, that's all.

Sorry for keeping plates spinning unnecessarily on all this and I promise
to stop right here.  As I've indicated over at the WELL, I'll soon be
departing the gallows.  How about Easter Sunday?  Thanks for inviting me to
join the "Goofy" topic but I think I hear my father calling me.

Whatever will be said of substance will happen over here, as we all know by now.

Mark Stahlman
New Media Associates
New York City
newmedia@mcimail.com