MediaFilter on Sun, 16 Feb 97 08:05 MET

Re: nettime: Quick Clarification

>Just wanted to quickly follow up Valentina Djordjevic's posting of Boris
>Groendahl's article "Plundering the Domain".
>
>I made a mistake (twice!) in the translation, making it sound as if
>name.space had only one server, when in fact, there are several. I've
>already apologized to both Boris and Paul Garrin for this oversight.
>
>Thanks.

>David Hudson                    REWIRED <www.rewired.com>
>dwh@berlin.snafu.de             Journal of a Strained Net

This is not the only "innaccuracy" in David Hudson's
english translation of the Boris Groendahl article in die Zeit,
"Der Verteilungskampf um die Internet-Addressen".

The title, "Plundering the Domain" is a dishonest and incorrect
translation of Groendahl's original title:

"Der Verteilungskampf um die Internet-Addressen"

The word "Verteilungskampf" does not mean "plunder"
it means "the struggle over distribution".

Given that David Hudson significantly editorialized in his
translation of the title--his version has a totally different
implication than the original--how can anyone who doesn't
read German be sure of the accuracy of the rest of Hudson's
translingalism?

There is much misinformation present here, possibly through subtle
translation "errors" which cast a vindictive tone on the subject
and on me, without a full understanding of the reality.
Such fabrication is unethical, especially since Hudson never
fact-checked any of his sources (he never contacted
me to verify his speculations...).  It amounts to gossip.

This kind of "journalism" is worthy of "Bildzeitung" or worse...
A higher level of credibility is warranted here.

--Paul Garrin