Pit Schultz on Sat, 5 Oct 96 23:21 MET

nettime: Sociotronics - Oliver Marchart

Settlers, Indians, and the Cavalry
or How to Subvert Electronic Identities

by Oliver Marchart

sociotronics

In his essay ÎFinding as Foundingâ Stanley Cavell asks himself why this new
America is said by Emerson to be yet unapproachable. Then he gives a range
of possible answers starting with the following, in my view the most
striking one: ÎFirst,â he says Îit is unapproachable if he (or whoever
belongs there) is already there (always already), but unable to experience
it, hence to know or tell it; or unable to tell it, hence to experience it.â
(Cavell, 1989: 91)

Stanley Cavell touches with this passage at something we could call the
logics of the always already, which is  central in any meaningful
conceptualization of the discovery of new continents. But first let me give
you the main question that is going to lead the line of my argument in this
paper. How can we reactivate the subversive or emancipatory potential, if
there is one, of cyberspace resp. electronic networks (I will use these two
terms synonymously in this context).

I will give you my answer to this question right at the beginning: In order
to reactivate this political potential we have to overcome the illusionary
perception of the medium as something with a pregiven essence in itself, a
natural being of its own. Media don«t have natural charateristics that
determine our perception of  them. It«s the other way around: it is our
construction that determines the nature of the medium. But there is a
certain approach to media,  a rhetoric of immediacy that claims that we just
have to find out certain pregiven characteristics of electronic networks.
Such an approach denies the fact that the medium is nothing else than Îthe
place between the phonesâ, which is the definition of cyberspace by Bruce
Sterling (Sterling, 1993: xi), and it is characterized by confusing
narratives about electronic networks with supposedly Îrealâ qualities or
properties of electronic networks.  But these qualities are nothing else
than the result of a narrative construction that in the case of electronic
networks has quite a lot in common with so called ÎNew World Narrativesâ.

That«s why we can call Cyberspace a new yet anapproachable continent. The
discovery of new continents always leads to the repetitive projection of old
myths on their white surface. What we discover doesn«t belong to the surface
as such. It is our occidental imaginary that is projected onto these
continents: India, China, Australia, America, Cyburbia. In this sense it is
perfectly clear that the electronic networks partly represent a new America:
an always receding horizon/frontier which has to be discovered and at the
same time protected in its untouched innocent state. Or to put it more
technically: amongst other narratives there are many new world narratives
employed in order to constitute a social image of electronic networks and
amongst these narratives the American narrative is predominant.

Hence, it won«t surprise that we can observe the revival of social
roles/characters/ personae such as that of the cowboy (console cowboy is the
term Gibson uses in his novels for his cyberpunks), anarchists and
terrorists (hackers, cypherpunks), liberals (the EFF), Indians (maybe us -
after the commercial conquistadores have taken over) or the United States
Cavalry (NSA). But we have to be careful: The matrix doesn't serve as a
screen for the psychotic obsessions of some individuals but as a screen for
our occidental imaginary, which has always been projecting its own myths
onto newly discovered continents. This is not the first time in history.
These social fantasies, respectively their incarnation or casting, is what I
call the sociotronics of Cyberspace. So sociotronics primarily and simply
designates the realm of the social in electronic media, the on-line-social.
And this social is constructed through repetitive narration, exactly the
same way as the off-line-social is constructed.

The level of popular narratives is entangled with the level of high-brow
fantasies of the social such as the ideas of political philosophers. Under
the surface of popular imagination there are many vague ideas and patterns
of political philosophy returning. Classical attitudes towards the question
of society and community. An example: Whilst a ÎRousseauianâ faction seeks
to protect the matrix as one would protect an untouched rural happyland,
there is also a liberal faction seeking to institutionalize rights
(ÎCyberrights Nowâ), which presupposes either a Lockean right to resist or a
Hobbesian state of nature which has to be shaped by an electronic social
contract.

However, the thesis of my second and much shorter part will be that one
should not stop at this level of sociotronics but rather point out that it«s
just the outcome of pre-cyberspatial sedimented practices transfered into
cyberspace (and therefore carrying along unpleasant features of western
metaphysics, such as phallogocentrism etc.). Given the highly eurocentric
perception of this space as a new continent to be colonized - its being part
of colonial discourse - the question now will be how to liberate cyberspace
from these imports. What is needed (as one task of an e-subversive program
or manifesto) therefore is to overcome sociotronics and arrive at electronic
politics; politics in a very specific sense: meaning the reactualization of
the political potential of sedimented social myths and identities. It
remains to be seen how fruitful it can be to translate the discussions on
strategic identity, parodic repetition, radical difference and so on into
the realm of electronic networks.

discursivity and narrativity

Now the time has come for some conceptual processing. What does it mean to
say that many studies in media theory belong to the genre of New World
Narratives. First we have to distinguish between discourse and narratives
since they are always likely to be confused. A discourse or a signifying
system - and this is something discourse analysis tells us - is structured
around a binary opposition that serves as its organizing principle. A
narrative is structured around binary oppositions as well, since it is part
of a larger discourse, but furthermore it is filled up with sedimented
patterns of action (story-patterns), making a highly Înaturalizedâ impression.

The new right discourse on race and sexuality for example,  which Anna Marie
Smith has analyzed so masterly is composed of a whole bunch of narratives
(Smith 1994). On the one hand we have the Thatcherite and Powellite
discourse that is unified by means of negation  - negation of something
different to this discourse - (specifically the negation of black immigrants
and homosexuals.) But on the other hand this discourse combines many
narratives much older than Thatcherism which can serve the discourse as
hosts, the same way as classical antijudaist narratives entered the
discourse of modern antisemitism. (for example the ÎAnderl vom Rinnâ, the
story of a child ritually killed by jews) The story of jews killing a
christian child and even eating it is a specification of the pattern of
people eating children and goes back at least to the myth of Chronos. But
the specific meaning it transports at different times and different places
arises out of the discursive context of this narrative pattern of
incorporation.

On the other hand the fact that cyberspace is created via narration has
nothing to do with the vacuum-paradigm of cyberspace, that presupposes
subjects without predicates - the so called Îcues filtered outâ approach.
This vacuum paradigm about disembodiment is supposed to allow an open
reinvention of the self. These ideas of  for example unproblematic
identity-switching and so on are embedded in a rhetoric of self-creation and
self-invention based on the assumption of a voluntarist subject, that is -
in my definition of the word - a subject that sets and defines the
conditions of its own possibility. In my view such a voluntarist subject
doesn«t exist, nobody defines at will the conditions of his or her
possibility, not even in electronic networks.

alterity and the always-already

One reason why there is no open reinvention of the self is that the white
surface of the new continent is just a logicaly necessary assumption but you
will never encounter a white surface in reality. Because something is
already there. And the analysis of older New World Narratives shows one
interesting phenomenon: What you discover is always your own image in a
reversed form. This sentence - since obviously it paraphrases the Lacanian
communication formula - has an axiomatic status. Wherever you go, and here I
take up Cavell, you are always already there. This means: Although the
Sumo-wrestlers in Nintendo games are intruduced at a moment in time that is
anterior and exterior to their incorporation into occidental american
narratives, at the very moment as we discover them in the Nintendo play they
are already part of our own culture, part of ourselves, they are not anymore
Japanese in a strong sense. Since as long as they belong to the other«s
culture we can«t perceive them at all. In this sense for us the original
Îexoticâ Sumo-wrestlers would have the status of a Kantian Ding-an.sich.
Speaking about Îthe otherâ from an ontological viewpoint therefore makes
only sense as far as we mean a radical other. And in this case we can«t say
anything about it. In all the other cases we don«t speak about the other -
in any meaningful sense of the word - but about parts of ourself: that is to
say, we speak about the same. My point here is that alterity always means
radical alterity or it means no alterity at all.

The consequences are clear: The New World is always already the old one in a
reversed form. The other you discover is always already the same in a
reversed form. There is no way of grasping the radical other, because as
soon as you manage grasping it, it immediately becomes part of your own.

However, this process of discovering something that is already there is not
boring. Quite on the contrary: it is fascinating, for it tells you some
truths about yourself. Probably at this point we come near to an explanation
of our fascination in confronting cyberspace. Again, let us approach this
fascination problem by means of an off-line example. What was the reason for
the fascination Western spectators felt witnessing the ÎRevolutions of 1989â
in Eastern Europe. Jeliza Sumic-Riha and Rado Riha argue that the Western
spectators recognized the truth of these events Îto be a return to the
origins of democratic experience, that is, to the extent to which these
events were seen to constitute an answer - one already realized in the West
- to the fundamental question of democracy. The West thus saw in the East
the confirmation of its own truth. But it saw its own truth in a very
specific way.â (Riha and Sumic, 1994:147)

An answer already realized in the West: the answer was democracy. But it was
not simply the reinvention of democracy that fascinated the West. It was the
very fascination of the East that fascinated the West. The West was
fascinated by the fascination Eastern European actors felt towards Western
democracy - Îtheir naive belief in - Western democracyâ (Riha and Sumic,
1994:147). Does this help us in understanding our fascination with new
worlds. Maybe it is the very fascination that belongs to the other, the eyes
of the natives staring at us, their mouth wide open, that fascinates us. Is
the fascination of the colonizer or the explorer result of the fascination
of the discovered themselves who take the explorers for gods? A cunclusion
that seems to me inherent to the approach of Jeliza Sumic and Rado Riha.

Or should we go even one step further and claim that what fascinates most is
not the encounter with a radical alterity but with the same (sameness), with
oneself.  There is only one experience that is more disturbing then to
realize that I am not identical with myself - there is another one instead
of me - and this even more disturbing experience is to discover that the
other one is me. We can detect these two settings in horror stories or
movies, where finding a double - a ÎDoppelgŠngerâ - is surely more
frightening than simply loosing my identity or having the need for an
exorcism, since someone else has taken over my body, although this might be
an unpleasant experience as well.

So I propose that at least one source of fascination may lie in the
discovery of something we already know (why else should we be so fascinated
by cyber-cafŽs or cities, electronic highways, piazze virtuale). How amazing
it is that we discover Îsocietyâ at a place where we would have expected
bits and bytes. So my thesis is that to a certain extent people are puzzled
by cyberspace not because it«s totally opposed to real world but because
it«s exactly the same as real world.

There is an entire genre of stories1- humourist or tragical of their nature
- playing exactly with this idea. I give you an example. Some explorers land
on an unknown tropical island and what they expect is either only some
primitive uncivilized natives or no people at all. But as they cross the
island they discover a Club MediterranŽe or something. Civilization is
already there, that«s the message. A stronger well-known version of these
settings is the following: some castaways are starving to death, whilst the
next city lies just behind the next dune.  The messages of this kind of
popular narratives can be diverse, but one of them - especially concerning
the first version of the story - clearly is: it is illusionary to think you
could escape civilization2. Civilization is always already around the
corner, even if nobody knows. (However, you can starve to death right in the
centre of civilization). Every Never-Never-Land is an Always-Already-Land.

water/land/frontier:
some discourse analytical observations

Now we should have a look at the discursive mechanism of constructing new
world narratives. I think we will discover three different functions. One
highly prominent concept is the notion of frontier (Electronic Frontier
Foundation and so on). We can speculate a lot about what`s lying behind this
notion in the context of electronic networking. Mary Fuller for example
speculates that Îthe drive behind the rhetoric of virtual reality as a New