John Hopkins on Fri, 10 Dec 2021 02:24:56 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Dawn of Everything (very short review)

Felix, I haven't read the book, but I would posit that the analysis would be seriously flawed if it did not take into account that whatever the architecture of the human system, it was fully embedded in the wider ecosystem of energy flows. Because of that embeddedness, all forms of human relation would definitely be affected by environmental variables: availability of energy being the most obvious. A hierarchic system, for example (speaking very generally), relies on a consistent flow/accumulation of energy sources from the periphery to the center. A militaristic autocracy, the same ... The structure of the human system is predicated on the particular flows of energy that are available, and, in the case of very early social forms, the most proximal flows (ultimately driven by solar flux to supply local autotrophic and heterotrophic energy sources).

Energy factors were/are always far more than a concern, they *drove/drive* the most formative characteristics of the entire human/organismic eco-system. Without exception and across time.

I find these intellectual/academic forays of very limited usefulness when they make no consideration of these most fundamental factors...

Cheers,
John