voyd on Tue, 5 Nov 2019 12:29:35 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

Even though it might seem trite, I think that a return to the rhetoric of Barlow's Declaration of Independence of Cyberspace is not the worst idea. In some ways, it could be updated to say that you had your chance; all it has done has subjugated the internet with capitalism and ignorance.  While I don;t expect a grand Digital Spring, nor do I think that the networks de refusees are teh answers either, I feel a much more subtle social shift is in order, and I see the potential of it in the Post-Trump world if we do not let the fragmentation that has compounded itself upon polarization drag everything further into the abyss.

Because there is not cliff to go over, as the situation for me is far stranger than merely going across a line (I.e. cliff)