John Young on Fri, 4 Oct 2019 21:30:02 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> AG Barr: USG Seeks Front Door to Encryption Not Backdoor

Attorney General William P. Barr Delivers Remarks at the Lawful Access Summit

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-william-p-barr-delivers-remarks-lawful-access-summit

"It is also said that the Government is seeking a secretive 'backdoor' to everyone's communications and data. That is false. We are seeking a front door.

The heart of the matter is this: Do the security advantages of warrant-proof encryption offered to the individual outweigh the risk posed to the public by that same technology? This is not a decision for the companies to make by themselves. It is a decision for society to make.

We think our tech sector has the ingenuity to develop effective ways to provide secure encryption while also providing secure legal access."