Frederic Neyrat on Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:23:59 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Present, past, amnesia, and rearview mirror

Hi Garnet, yes, you're right, fuck the fetishization, and we need to pay attention to other forms of thought, "minor" (in the Deleuzian & Guattarian sense... sorry...) thinkers; yet let's be careful to not produce a total amnesia, like people who would write as if nothing was written before them, shouting "Voilà!" about something already written/explained/defined one thousand times before them. Not bad sometimes to take a look into the rearview mirror.

A gesture of rejection of the past is a gesture kept repeated. "Modern" and dangerous.

Besides, even a reading of neglected writers has to make appear that which was not written, or read - it's the same thing - "to read what was never written" (Hofmannsthal). Hermeneutics anyway.

So, let's read Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud, Judith Butler, Alexis Pauline Gumbs "with the most powerful force of the present" (Nietzsche).

Best,

Frederic Neyrat