Garnet Hertz on Mon, 17 Jun 2019 09:21:03 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Periodizing With Control

Emaline: based on your response, it looks like you have the same careerism as Seb. No?

1. Why would anybody use the term "imbricated" in a tweet without being insecure? https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/10/complex-academic-writing/412255/
2. I don't hate Foucault and Deleuze (I did my PhD w Mark Poster, perhaps one of the bigger fans of these guys) - but thinking that advanced thought starts and stops with these people is totally lazy scholarship.
3. Max Herman: "I sometimes think the flaws or errors in three main names -- Freud, Marx, and Nietzsche". Sounds okay, but is about a hundred years late.
4. Seb may be trying to keep academia alive, but this sort of resembles a zombie life form that isn't worth the life support.

I think I'm primarily gagging at a fetishization of the same group of guys that everybody worships: Freud, Marx, Nietzsche, Baudrillard, Deleuze, Guattari, Jameson, etc. It's totally true that they really are fantastic: I think I literally have every printed word of all of these people on my bookshelf. I also still consider Baudrillard the best theoretical summary of my life's work, for example -- his writing is amazingly inspiring and bright. But by continuing to worship the same incantation of sacred names we really run the risk of our outfit (critical studies, digital humanities, or whatever) of becoming totally irrelevant and disconnected from the tools and dialogue of today. In my opinion, if your scholarship is focused on Freud, Marx, and Nietzsche then maybe you're in a stagnant nostalgic backwater of thought. There are so many new tools, techniques and scholars that bring so many fresh perspectives on different topics that we need to dig down and do work on instead of just taking for granted the names that our grad advisors assigned us. If nothing else, we really owe it to the non-European and non-male scholars around us that have done fantastic, vigorous scholarship. If we're writing theory or history it's up to us to dig deeper into the archive of this stuff and put the effort to find people outside the canon and write them into history. This is what great historians do, I think. They worry less about careerism and focus on paying attention to what is actually going on in the real world - and they formulate a fantastic way to summarize the gestalt of it without leaning on a bunch of clichés. They cut a fresh and insightful path. If nothing else, your long term careerism will accelerate by stepping out of your theoretical safe zone. Fuck Freud, Marx, Nietzsche, Baudrillard, Deleuze, Guattari, and Jameson -- not that they're wrong, but that there are a lot of other people that deserve our attention that have been totally neglected. The well-known folks had enough coverage already - they are useful in establishing a base zone for your arguments, but I really think all of these individuals would agree with me in moving forward. I think they'd say "Move on and clue in to what's happening now" -- or maybe encouraging us to not totally fetishize May 1968.

In summary, I'd like to try to encourage people to be more like an inspirational groundbreaker than a careerist schmuck, I guess. Only a few beyond the small circle of critical studies colleagues genuinely care about the chain of thought between Freud-Marx-Nietzsche. Not that they're useless, but that a lot has happened since they were writing. We're in a significantly different world than when these folks were around. The work isn't completely useless, just not the best set of tools for discussing the problems of today. No?

Garnet