panayotis antoniadis on Tue, 11 Jun 2019 23:07:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> less (net time) is more

Dear all,

I have been following since a few years and tried many times to write
but for some reason never pressed the send button.

It is perhaps that I was always wanting to suggest somehow obvious,
simple things, which have been said before many times. But I do think
that it is important to keep trying with the simplest ideas.

So, for me a possible future for mailing lists would be to simply make
face-to-face contact an integral part of their main "communication
protocol".

I don't know, a few people meeting more or less randomly and then making
the habit to send a common e-mail to a list would be cool. Then a
possible proposal for the future of nettime: Single e-mails forbidden!
People should send to the list only if they are at least with one more
person discussing live the content of their common e-mail.

In any case, if we are serious about privacy, sovereignty, ecology, etc,
we need less not more data, even if they "belong to the people".

Instead of claiming for more private, secure, user-owned data I think we
should actively question first data itself, and demand less connected
things, less blockchain world savers, less online groups, etc.

Anyway, I am happy that I finally sent my first e-mail to nettime
without thinking too much about it :-)

Best,

Panos
http://nethood.org/panayotis/