Heiko Recktenwald on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 09:54:10 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> notes from Brexania in limbo...

Am 18/01/19 um 12:08 schrieb David Garcia:

> Finaly its a pity all these thinkers I am referencing are men.. How
> much of these neo-nationalist pathologies are man made…?

There is no difference. I have a brother in London with a small freehold
house and family and the mother of the best frtiend of his daughter
asked after the Brexit: "What is the problem, you have to leave". They
dont have to leave but this does not make it better.

The Brexiters had a bigger problem that is a real problem of the EU as
well. There are no Europeans, not even in the European parliament. The
role of nations and democracy. Democracy in a nation is something else.
A nation is more like a family. The EU has changed. It is not the EU it
once was with very limited competences. It is directed towards a
"superstate" that caqn do everything. And there are tensions. The Brexit
was one answer to those tensions. The other answer would have been to
make opposition from within the EU. See the Poles, Hungary, Italy, all
other nations. Ok, wer can say that thzey are terrible and special but
they are just Poles and Hungarians or Italians. Why should they not have
another will than Brussels? Merkel will punish them? Nothing has changed
under the sun.

The present chaos is owed to the fact that the EU is also a reality.
Facts have changed and not just the law. We  have learnt in lawschool
that an exit was impossible. This was not a question of law but of the
facts. The legal freedom to leave did not change the facts.

Best, H.