Javier Arbona on Sat, 26 Nov 2016 02:37:57 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's Victory

   I'm sorry to jump in here, but I could not be silent about this.

   Racism, or its absence, is not a passing thing that a nettime user gets
   to summarily referee. It doesn't work that way. Trump voters had almost
   two years to denounce Trump's racism, and that of his most vocal
   followers, and they didn't. Need we say more? Anyone who is not white
   understands very well what this was about. To deny American racism with
   a swift keyboard gesture is in itself a manifestation of the way in
   which racism operates in this country, which is to say, even in the
   absence of an articulated white supremacist position. I'm sorry to read
   this kind of thing on here. It goes to show we have a ton of work to
   do, starting within the "Left" itself.

   As for the assertion that Trump is not a fascist...? The proof, again,
   is in the followers. If they tell you they are fascists, believe them.
   And this idea that he is not a "military fetishist"? He went out of his
   way to prove he was, again, over the course of a year and half. Was no
   one paying attention? Did people watch the conventions? Both parties in
   the US are military and veteran worshipers.

   Furthermore, it's very dangerous to think that fascism can't be in play
   simply because the right are so factional, disparate, and contradictory
   in their continuum of views. Revisit the history of the Spanish Civil
   War to understand how fascism rose within a similarly fractured
   atmosphere.