Morlock Elloi on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 22:49:14 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Ethereum: DAO - "The Attacker"

This looks more and more like experimental evidence that being human requires being in control (and remaining in the loop). While such statement is obvious, I think this is the first example where the automation harmed its owners on a large scale (outside fiction).

Harming *others* with automation, on the other hand, is old and tested phenomenon.

Are we trying to create God, to relieve us from responsibility? Is it possible that the race to automate is not really about the few controlling the many?

So, any system that does not accommodate for the expression and
control of power and for self-conscious, accountable decision-making
under circumstances of uncertainty and internal disagreement, cannot
work other than a dictatorship that centralizes power and politics in
closed circles to hide it from view.