Keith Hart on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 17:11:24 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Ethereum: DAO - "The Attacker"

That's it, Felix. I wish I had thought of putting like that.

I don't think it is a recurrent and forgettable cultural trait.
I comes from the historical coincidence of neoliberal economy
(deregulation), the contemporary alliance with capital of
techno-utopians (magical thinking) and their political intermediaries
(the architects of the euro for example). Sure it has happened before,
but never with such calamitous consequences.

See John Tresch for an apparently more benign combination of magic and
machines, The Romantic Machine: Utopian science and technogy after Napoleon
https://www.amazon.in/Romantic-Machine-Utopian-Technology-Napoleon-ebook/dp/B008533DRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467888879&sr=8-1&keywords=john+tresch

Keith

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.com> wrote:

> I think there are very simple things to be learned from this.
> Something that is, in the end, utterly banal but apparently gets
> forgotten with every new technology and needs to be relearned.
>
> It is impossible to wish away power and politics.

<....>