Steve McLaughlin on Wed, 6 Jul 2016 20:07:18 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What were the first instances of hacking 4 Whisteblowing

   I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the accidental
   leak of Diebold's source code and internal emails in 2003 comes to
   mind. It didn't contain a smoking gun as far as I know, just evidence
   of sloppy voting booth security.

   The real significance of the incident was the resulting legal
   precedent. Swarthmore students Nelson Pavlosky and Luke Smith, along
   with the Online Policy Group, brought suit against Diebold for misusing
   DMCA takedown requests, convincing a judge to enforce 512(f) for the
   first time.

   Peñalver and Katyal have a chapter on the case in their book _Property
   Outlaws_ (2010):
   https://mega.nz/#!ntFG0JzQ!mD2TOkW1HGzvvMoSgM4fSjEHsxQU3IHFaqHqjKyggF0

   And here's Wikipedia:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Policy_Group_v._Diebold,_Inc.
   --
   Stephen Reid McLaughlin
   PhD Student, UT Austin School of Information

   On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM Gabriella "Biella" Coleman