Gabriella "Biella" Coleman on Wed, 6 Jul 2016 18:36:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What were the first instances of hacking 4

Hi Ted,

I am not looking to historicize the phrase or word whistleblowing or
leak though that no doubt would be interesting :) Hope someone takes
that on.

I am looking for concrete examples and instances of a sub-genre of
whistleblowing: hackers breaking into a computer system *and* finding
emails/documents that are newsworthy and leaking them to the public....

The exemplar examples from Anonymous are

1. ACS Law leaks (not rly resulting from a hack but... very close).
2. HB Gary leaks
3. Stratfor leaks

And then other good examples

1. CIA emails by cracka
2. Sony pictures email by GOP (even though the political motivation is
very unclear, super interesting info in there and was used by
journalists to write stories about gender disparity
3. Like all of Phineas Phisher's hacks for leaking
4. Lulzsec Peru's hack of the Peruvian gov and leaking emails with
evidence of massive government corruption that almost brought the
cabinet down.
5. Others I have collected ... (more minor and all post the Anonymous era).

There were many many website defacements and also what I would
characterize as sabotage leaks but not much in the form of public
interest leaking (and again excluding vulnerability research/data which
to be sure can take the form of a public interest hack and leak).

Biella

On 2016-07-06 11:23 AM, t byfield wrote:

> This is a great question. I guess you've used the bog-standard method
> of looking it up? Etymology is pretty old-fashioned, I know, but you
> never know what you'll turn up -- like the Oxford English Dictionary's
> attestations of the phrase 'blow the whistle' in P. G. Wodehouse
> (1934) and Raymond Chandler (1953). Granted, two examples are a pretty
> flimsy basis for constructing a theory, but already there seems like
> there might be a divide between one sense (British?) of
> announcing/introducing -- think regimental assemblies -- and another
> (American?) of a cop interrupting a crime and/or calling attention to
> it. Both of those are images are overflowing with evocative
> suggestions of space, how it's organized, and the place of different
> kinds of agency in it. Note the ambivalent present of, let's say, *the
> state*: blowing a whistle serves to mobilize or synchronize scattered
> activity or attention. There are many lots more interesting examples.
> My hunch is that you'll find the phrase paces the rise of a regulatory
> state bureaucracy.
 <...>

--
Gabriella Coleman
Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy