morlockelloi on Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:07:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> aaaaarg lawsuit digest #ANON

This reminds of sentiments of small software publishers in the 90s (but
they used to express themselves in more colorful ways.) Ease of copying
killed the cottage software industry (only the big 5 survived), and it's
only now slightly recovering due to proprietary appstore/device platforms.

Publishing books/texts is somewhat similar, except for the fact that the
final product runs on any human, not just the two proprietary device
platforms, so it's much easier to propagate. The end game for small
publishers (no lawyer budget) is bleak - the money comes from two
categories: readers who prefer paper, and readers who really, really
want to pay. The upside is that there is the paper option, which
software publishers never had.