Konrad Becker on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:39:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Shared Digital Futures

Earlier this summer there was a meeting in Vienna to (again) discuss
our Shared Digital Futures...

Avoiding the legalese intricacies of IPRs, we tried to have a look on
how over the last decade digitization has reached deep into societies,
invaded the archives, transformed production and distribution.
Established divisions of labor are called into question, and deep
challenges emerge to the theory and practices of many cultural
domains. Reflecting on essential challenges we asked classical
questions like: What opportunities are offered by the blurring of
boundaries between artists and audiences? Or, What does it mean when
cultural works are both finished works and material for new works? But
also questions like: Is there simply a change from old monopolies,
based on copyright, financing and distribution, to new monopolies,
based on access, intelligent filtering and interactivity? Here is a 10
min video that we edited recently to summarize the event:

http://future-nonstop.org/c/e6c2819169bb997440652fa0963e8748

Many of the participants of this World-Information.Net event are very
familiar to the list. Philippe Aigrain, Laurence Rassel, Inke Arns, R.
Trebor Scholz, Michel Bauwens, Eric Kluitenberg, Ewen Chardronnet, to
name just a few...

cheers, K

full program:
http://world-information.net/sdf/
(Associated with a workshop and debate on national cultural institutions and
archives)